What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 29-03: Brass Elbows

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Guys,

On page 29-03 it has us fitting the Brass Elbows into U-01402 and then clocking them at 6.9deg.

To achieve the desired clocking the elbow is not what I would consider fully tightened. It's snug, just not "tight".

Going around another turn isn't possible, at least not without what I would consider an inappropriate amount of force.

Am I correct in assuming that the pipe thread sealant will keep it from leaking and this is normal?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
brass fitting

No, it will leak .

Just inspected a 7 in Alabama Saturday and it had a leaking fitting. I see it often.

Try swapping it out with another fitting. It may be better.

Vern

Vern's right, it will leak. I'm in the same boat on my completed 12. I have one that can't make another full turn, but where it has to be clocked isn't "farmer tight". It's got a very minor but annoying seep. I turned it until I was seriously afraid the master cylinder would crack, but it can't make that last quarter turn or so.

If someone knows a way to get an extra quarter or half turn out of one, I'm all ears... otherwise I could buy another one and hope for the best, but what if it's just as bad? Keep buying more 90 elbows in hopes of getting one that works? Now I'm understanding why I pulled 4-5 wraps of Teflon tape off that the builder had used on them (they still leaked).

"possibility" of running an 1/8NPT tap in the hole and slightly expanding the threads. Definitely use sealer on NPT threads.

Tom

Found a simple solution, I swapped and flipped the U-01402 parts and was able to get them nice and tight and clocked at about 7deg.

Back