What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Float-type fuel level sender question

resistance for my fuel level senders...

They are the Stewart Warner, 385 Series type from Van (RV-6A)

Full = 30.1 ohms
Empty = 250 ohms

Full and empty reflect the rheostat movement range of the float sender, not what is in the tank.

Not Reaching 240 ohms

Good Afternoon,
Both of my new from the box, never installed, S-W 385 senders read from 32 ohms at one extreme of arm movement to 195 ohms at about 3/4 of the movement of the arm. Then, both show an open circuit- i.e. 1 on the ohmmeter- for the remaining 1/4 of their travel. I'd say the arm is losing contact with the wiper at that point although I can't see it.

Can I reasonably diassemble the sender? If so and if I'm right about the arm and wiper losing contact, any idea about how to adjust them? Would I be better off simply buying two new senders and hoping for the best?

Thanks.
John

John,
I don't know your background with electronics, but I would check the scale setting on your multimeter first. It sounds more likely that you are in the wrong range and less likely that you received two bad senders.

Stupid Me

Wings on Wheels,
Thank you very much. And of course that's exactly what my mistake was. The fact that the two senders had identical problems nagged at me.
John

Back