What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brakes

backcountry

Well Known Member
I find it difficult to taxi in a crosswind and it doesn't take a lot wind to go passed the capability of the brake.
Question: is there larger brakes available for the RV-12?

Not sure--

if Beringer is making a caliper package for the 12. Retrofitting their calipers will require some work. Groves might convert, more easily.
Is the issue more holding power?

Tom

The steering friction on your castering nose wheel may be set too light. I experience the same symptom when taxiing in cross wind.

You get used to dragging a little bit of brake...

I too would suspect the nose-wheel breakout force is not sufficient. My -7A handles most mild wind with rudder only once moving.

How much wind are you talking about? I've never had an issue maintaining directional control, but I have had to repeatedly tap a brake to stay on center line with 10 knots crosswind on a taxi way.

It can handle more right x-wind but a 10 knots left X-wind for me is difficult and much more than tapping. Very heavy braking. I've flown with another RV-12 and it had a difficult time. I've flown many aircraft and started instructing back in the 60's. I'd like to have more brake to feel safe.

Back