What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog copilot

Nice!

Made my day Caleb - thanks for posting! May you have many, many more flights together :)

That's one ugly dog. Hope yr G/F is better...lolol That's one thing I would never do, take a dog in a plane!:p

Do you not need mixture with SDS electronic fuel injection? Just looks odd not having that little red knob. Opens up a brace of questions regarding leaning ect.

Rebel, my girlfriends bulldog is my hangar and flying buddy while she is at her real job.

I don't see a mixture control next to the prop and throttle controls. Does the EFI have a mass air flow sensor or something like that? Or does it use an algorithm?

I don't see a mixture control next to the prop and throttle controls. Does the EFI have a mass air flow sensor or something like that? Or does it use an algorithm?

That's the great wonderful thing about EFI--no need to futz about with a mixture knob like it's 1950 :D

This system uses manifold pressure and RPM with a programmed fuel map. You can also schedule your ignition timing, and there's an optional "lean switch" function that leans out by a set amount and advances the timing.

There actually is a small mixture knob that you can use for initial tuning (dial in what you want, note the setting, and program it in), to lean manually if desired, or to compensate for an abnormal condition. But the great thing about it is that once it's set up, you shouldn't need to mess with leaning any more. For normal ops you'd just leave it at the halfway mark. In the pics it's right below the round programmer, next to the red-guarded switch in the center of the panel.

Ross is working on a closed-loop function that will adjust fuel delivery to meet a specified O2 sensor target. That's more challenging due to the need to handle sensor failure, and due to lead fouling of O2 sensors.

Ross is working on a closed-loop function that will adjust fuel delivery to meet a specified O2 sensor target. That's more challenging due to the need to handle sensor failure, and due to lead fouling of O2 sensors.

I'm sure there is an obvious reason for this (turbulent intake flow?, bad failure modes?) but wouldn't it be easier to do the air flow on the intake like they do in cars, rather than on the exhaust?

Cars measure the amount of O2 in the exhaust to determine proper mixture ratio. The intake manifold pressure is there to calculate the intake volume, required for calculating fuel injection volume matching to air intake volume.

Open loop, measures the intake parameters and uses a table to determine fuel injection volume. Closed-loop adds in the exhaust gas measurement to modify the table real-time.

Back