What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inside of cowling

rvdave

Well Known Member
What is a good paint to use for inside of cowling? Should it be high temp paint as in engine rattle can? Assuming gloss for wiping clean, wondering what others have used?

Something oil and fuel resistant because you'll get both on it. I vote for a 2 part epoxy or polyU if you can.

I used West System Epoxy, tinted white and rolled on several coats (thinned with some acetone).

Looks like this with 4 coats.
IMG_3720-M.jpg

Easy to clean!

Two or three coats of PPG DP-48 LF primer (this is a white primer). This seals the inside, is easy to wipe clean of oil and such, and has help up well over 13 years. It also stands up to all but the most aggressive solvents.

Carl

Has anyone here tried coating FRP parts with a layer of aluminum using vacuum chemical vapor deposition (CVD)? I've wondered about this for a while...the possibilities for completely polished RVs might be interesting, not to mention the thermal reflectivity applications inside the cowl.

Last edited:
What is a good paint to use for inside of cowling?

Finish it just like the outside...seal, epoxy primer, two-part single stage paint.

The self-stick aluminum foil reflector material from Vans really adheres well to finish paint.

Yes, it can be a good place to practice one's painting procedure and technique if needed.

Do be sure to add some reflective heat shield where exhaust gets close to cowling - mine took 700 hours before starting to fry without it.

Rattle can appliance paint

After sealing the inside with left over epoxy and slurry (micro beads & epoxy) I sprayed 2 coats of rattle can white appliance epoxy paint. Looks and feels great, but WARNING: I'm not flying yet.

We put intumescent paint & tedlar on our cowlings for heat resistance and oil penetration issues on our helicopters. I will be doing the same on my cowling.

I painted the inside of the cowl at the same time I did the outside. I used Jet-Glo, then covered the high heat areas with self adhesive reflective insulation. To keep the insulation from peeling up I carefully lined the edge or the insulation with High Heat RTV. 3 years and 500 hours still looks new.

IMG_3034.JPG

Back