What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Putting the door shells together

ClarkieSr

For those of you that are going to put your doors together using epoxy and cabosil I have an alternate to offer that I used instead of using the epoxy/cabosil that Van's recommends

I used a two part epoxy adhesive made by the Makers of Aeropoxy. The data on this product exceeds the epoxy/cabosil in strength (exceeds 4000 psi). When parts A & B are mixed together the viscosity of the mixture is perfect for applying to the flanges surfaces of the doors. It cures in 15 hrs or less depending on the ambient temperature. I live in FL so it cured faster.

If any one is interested the product is ES6247 A/B Made by PTM&W Industries who makes Aeropoxy. Contact Scot Stettler @ 562.946.4516 for info and pricing.
This adhesive was awesome to use

Tom, real close to starting on the doors. What are the benefits over the West System product. Does it make the doors stiffer, easier to work with ?

The West system is basically for marine use. I does not have the same strength qualities as Aeropoxy. There are data sheets on all these products if you google them.

The expoxy and cabosil mixture is a pain to mix and get to the correct consistency. This new product makes the job of gluing the shells together so much easier. It took me less than 2 minutes to mix (2:1 ratio by weight)and the consistency is perfect for applying to the flanges. I buttered both she'll flanges before mating them. I only used it on all the mating services. I used the aeropoxy for the cranial and elbow areas to wet the parabeam and apply to the doors.
I highly recommend this adhesive. Give Scot a call he'll be happy to answer your question

Back