What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel & switch markings

rvdave

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to label things on the panel and controls but unsure of what needs to be marked for purposes of inspection? Maybe someone who knows, has been inspected, or a dar may comment on this question? What are the marking requirements for switches, levers, controls? For example, is there common sense logic and assumptions that the black throttle control gets pushed for open throttle? Same for prop and mixture? Does it need to be labelled "throttle" and "push for open"? Does a lit up switch when on need to be labeled "up for on"? How far do you go to label what each common lever does, which direction to engage, or what it does when moved? I can understand more uncommon things like purge valve, or vent control, etc.

Vans Placards

A RV-12 built as an E-LSA has specific placards and markings requirements. These are set out below in an excerpt from the -12's final checkout document. Some of them should give you a start for your airplane.

Switch markings came with prefabricated modules. Look at an RV-12's panel to see how they are labelled.

Section G9 - Placards check
 Verify that N number is on outside of aircraft, 2 places.
 Verify the N numbers are 12 inches high (S-LSA)
 Verify that stainless steel data plate is on outside of aircraft.
 Verify that N number is on instrument panel.
 Verify that EXPERIMENTAL (for ELSA) or LIGHT-SPORT (for SLSA) placard is on baggage
bulkhead.
 Verify that instrument panel switches and fuses are all labeled.
 Verify that ?OPEN? canopy latch placard is on outside of rear window.
 Verify that Fuel type and capacity placard is on outside near fuel cap.
 Verify that THROTTLE is above throttle knob and PUSH OPEN is on knob end.
 Verify that CABIN HEAT is above cabin heat knob and PULL ON is on knob end.
 Verify that PULL ON & ROTATE TO LOCK is below choke control.
 Verify that CHOKE is above choke control.
 Verify that fuel valve on/off placard is adjacent to fuel valve.
 Verify that baggage capacity maximum 50 lbs (22,68kg) on baggage bulkhead.
 Verify that No Push placards (2 places) are on anti-servo tab.
 Verify that Minimum Fuel for Take-Off sticker is on mechanical fuel gauge.
 Verify that Passenger warning placard is on instrument panel.
 Verify that Autopilot disconnect is adjacent to AP disconnect switch.
 Verify that 12 Volt Power Outlet 5A max placard is adjacent to power outlet.
 Verify that Music Input placard is adjacent to receptacle.
 Verify that inlet duct seal caveat placard is on top of inlet duct.
 Verify that ELT labels are placed on instrument panel adjacent to ELT switch and adjacent to
ELT.
 Verify that spare fuse holder (on map box door or under panel in front of pilot) has fuse
positions labeled.

N.B. The data plate must be fireproof, meaning of steel and not aluminum. My A/W inspector specifically checked for that.

Also see:http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/cockpit-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

I was told that all controls/switched/levers/etc. had to be labeled. Even Boeings have an arrow pointing forward between throttles and "Increase Thrust." Silly....

I don't find that silly at all. In my opinion, all controls need to be marked for what they are and the direction of operation. Each one should be considered just as important as the fuel valve which is marked, right?

12161414934d325d26deccd.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the labels can be taken care of by using these inserts from Spruce -

Those are nice. It would be great if there were more selections, isn't there a place that will make those for other knobs that aren't shown at acs?

Those are nice. It would be great if there were more selections, isn't there a place that will make those for other knobs that aren't shown at acs?

Yes, after reading this thread, I need one for my throttle "THROTTLE, PUSH OPEN" :)

I'll have Aircraft Engravers make one up along with the label I need for the flap switch.

0.020 sticky back matte should do the job, and I just measured the recess in my throttle knob as a 0.0875 circle.

http://www.engravers.net/materials.html

Back