What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1031 Baggage Door Seal Channel Suggestions?

ERushing

Well Known Member
Hardly a critical building step but I'm wondering how you accomplished Page 33-6, Step1 - Riveting the nut plates inside the Baggage Door Seal Channel. Two rivets are easy and could probably be back riveted. How did you get to the two under the flange??

93D2B131-104C-47F1-8D00-90B0E4343B33_zpsljbyyjhz.jpg

I attached the Tailcone to the Fuse this weekend thanks to some help from Amit Dagan! It's starting to look a bit more like an airplane!

4D3FB45A-E356-4936-BDAC-FD90DBC5D979_zpsn19hdwdp.jpg

57C4983C-3883-4740-9350-8E99B7AAACFA_zpswihber9g.jpg

Flush pop rivets. Nutplate rivets like this are not structural (unless multiple parts are joined there) but merely keep the nutplate in place while the screw or bolt is inserted. In this particular case, since the screws provide clamping force to position the lock striker plate, pop rivets will definitely be Ok since they don't act to keep anything in place other than the nutplates themselves.

Now is the time to remove the center strap anchors for the rear seat harnesses. Once the floor is riveted in place it becomes much harder!

I appreciate the thread drift!

I hadn't thought of the rear seat anchors! We're going to have two dogs back there for a lot of our flights. I hadn't thought about keeping the area flat.

Although, those anchors would be a good place to attach a dog harness to restrain them in case of turbulence, excitement, off-airport landing, etc. No need to have a couple well-loved meat missiles flying around the cabin if something went wrong... Has anyone outfitted their rear seats/ cargo area for canine companions?

Getting the thread back on point - I ended up using the pneumatic squeezer on the accessible rivets and blind rivets for the other two holes. Why??? Just because :)

Although, those anchors would be a good place to attach a dog harness to restrain them in case of turbulence, excitement, off-airport landing, etc. No need to have a couple well-loved meat missiles flying around the cabin if something went wrong... Has anyone outfitted their rear seats/ cargo area for canine companions?

I just flew about ten hours with my daughter's 1.5 year old Lab. She did great! She even left her Mutt Muffs on the entire trip.

There are a variety of issues and trade offs with carrying dogs. We just tied her leash off on the horizontal seat support rail. This ensured that she couldn't get into the front seats, but did give a little slack to move around in the back.

I've also done some Pilot n Paws flights. Then I've only done small and medium sized dogs. I keep them in crates.

Unfortunately, there is no good way from protecting them from all dangers. With said, I do make sure that they can't injury any of the passengers, even if that means increased risk for the dog.

I didn't install mine because I opted to use 4-point seat belts for the rear pax as I wanted a flat seat pan for cargo when the rears seat were removed.

Won't you still have protrusions from the seat belt anchors near the seat back hinge, when the seat is folded down? I suppose, if one really wanted to make everything "cargo ready" you could maybe use bolts to install all anchors, instead of rivets, then add removable access covers. Is there anybody who installed the 5th point anchor (i.e. crotch strap) in the rear seats of a 10 or does everyone use 4-pointers back there, just like the front seats?

Won't you still have protrusions from the seat belt anchors near the seat back hinge, when the seat is folded down? I suppose, if one really wanted to make everything "cargo ready" you could maybe use bolts to install all anchors, instead of rivets, then add removable access covers. Is there anybody who installed the 5th point anchor (i.e. crotch strap) in the rear seats of a 10 or does everyone use 4-pointers back there, just like the front seats?

It's a compromise for sure. I didn't do anything special for the lap belt attach points, but I can live with those. I just didn't like the crotch strap anchor lug sticking up and that's how I rationalize not installing it. :D

Back