What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft destroyed, Items for sale

lcappucci

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to these forums and looking for some advice. My RV-6A, N32LC, was destroyed in Hurricane Harvey. She was in a T-hangar in Rockport, TX when the storm made landfall. The roll bar and the landing gear absorbed the impact of the hangar collapse. I salvaged the engine, propeller, and a few instruments.

Of course this was almost three years ago, and I have been hanging on to the engine and prop thinking I might build another RV. But that's just not going to happen, at least not in the next 5 years or so.

I have an O-360 (500 hrs SFNEW) with a Sensenich metal fixed-pitch prop, Airflow Performance fuel injection, and a standby generator on the vacuum pad. I know I can sell the Lycoming easily, but I think I would get the most value to sell it as a package to an RV builder. This was a great combo on my 6A.

Can anyone provide me with some estimates as to what these would be worth?

I've also got some avionics, instruments, tires, brakes, aeroflash strobes, etc. too. Some might be worth something, others not much.

(Not trying to squeeze every last nickle out of them, but I did not have insurance, so I'd like to get a fair value while still giving someone in the RV community a good deal.)

Thanks,
Louis

Louis,
Since you didn?t have insurance, you might be subject to a ?fair market value? on items that are salvageable. For accessories, like avionics, tires, etc - I think 50% of the new cost for these items is reasonable, as long as they are still considered a value today, but if you have steam gages, you have garage sale stuff. As far as the airframe goes, look at the cost of replacement parts. If the empennage is destroyed, you may have to look for an RV6 tail kit for sale to incentivize a buyer, since you can?t buy this tail kit anymore, and with the understanding that you are dealing with a kit that has a lower value since the RV7 came out, and further devalued with the RV14 introduction. Don?t get me wrong, the RV6 is a wonderful airplane. That was my first build, and I wish I still had it - so does my wife. You might want to consider rebuilding it, especially if you enjoyed this great airplane. You can?t get a truly better total performance airplane any cheaper.

Best of luck,

Yep, post some ads in the VAF Classifieds using 50% of new price as a starting point. The engine being inactive for three years in a coastal environment might concern some potential buyers unless it has been preserved properly. But put the ads out there and see what bounces back. Be sure you have good photos and descriptions for each item.

Sorry about the loss of your RV, maybe there will be another one someday.

aircraft destroyed . items forsale

Hello Louis ,

"have an O-360 (500 hrs SFNEW) with a Sensenich metal fixed-pitch prop, Airflow Performance fuel injection, and a standby generator on the vacuum pad. I know I can sell the Lycoming easily, but I think I would get the most value to sell it as a package to an RV builder. This was a great combo on my 6A."

Having just ordered the finish kit for my RV7A , I am interested in the engine and prop package ...

Just wondering however , I have figured on a carburated system with no return line to the tanks .. will the AIRFLOW fuel injection work in my present setup without the additional line installed ?

thanks

Sam kurtz

Airflow performance has the option of running a return line, but doesn't require it. Depending on his setup you may need to modify a few things, but you should be able to make it work.

You know what it is worth new if you built it. In my opinion 50% off new as suggest is a bit too conservative, at least for engine and prop.

Engines have high core value, say $10,000. Say the price of a new O-360 is $38,000. So you have used 500 hrs of 2000 hrs.

[($38,000 - $10,000) * 500/2000] + $10,000 = $27,100. That included the induction and ignition. You have exhaust and AUX alternator would be separate or negotiable. Baffles still in good shape? All that has value.

The Sensenich prop for O-360 is $4,100. It has 500 hrs since new, assume good condition. I would expect you should expect 75% - 80%. To sweeten the deal throw in spinner ($220) and mount hardware.

The pad driven B&C alternator and regulator is $$$> Alternator $760 to $980 and regulator $180. It's well over $1000 new depending on what model B&C you have. You should sell separate from engine, or make a package deal with engine, prop , accessories and bits. Might be good deal for both you and buyer, save time, but don't give it away.

Exhaust l$850 to $1030 new. If you have heat muff, firewall heat valve, hoses, clamps all that is a big help to a builder

If you want a reality check go to Trade A Plane, barnstormers...... Parts are worth over $30K. The other items look up and decide what you want for them. If they are complete, good condition they are worth a good bit.

Sell small stuff on VAF classified first for the electronics, lights, avionics, small things you can ship. If no luck they eBay. You can set a reserve and start an auction with low starting price. You might be surprised how much you get. Not VAF rules you can not use VAF classified for items listed on eBay at same time.

PS sorry about this loss....

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. The more I think about it, the more I want to build another one...probably an 8A this time.

Scott - unfortunately no part of the airframe was worth anything. I kept the vertical stab to hang on the wall. The rest of it went to the local community college A&P class. I had a hangar at Butler County for a few years. Did my first grass landings in the RV at Middletown.

Sam B- the engine has been stored in my attached garage in Virginia for the last 3 years. It is on a pallet with the crankshaft vertical and the mounts bolted to the pallet. I have not turned it or done anything for fear of "scraping" down the oil. Any preservation tips? BTW, I was an avid reader of "The RV Journal" while building my kit. Really enjoyed it, and learned a lot from you.

Sam K - When I decide to sell, I'm sure I will list it here on VAF. There's a good chance I'll be moving in a few months to Jacksonville, FL, so that would certainly make delivery easier.

George - Of course, I like your response best of all! Maybe a little optimistic, but I agree, the baffling is good, the oil cooler is mounted to it, I still have the exhaust, etc. so the most natural buyer would be someone building an RV. I have a local guy who just wants the engine to upgrade his spam can, but then I'm stuck with selling all the other stuff piecemeal.

Other factors which I didn't mention, but probably are important. This engine is 20 years old. I don't have logbooks, but I do have oil analysis history. The prop had a few scratches so I had a reputable shop (Jordan Propeller in San Antonio) take those out and repaint it. Years earlier, they re-pitched the prop for me. It was an 83 when I bought it new, but it is now a 72FM8S9-1-86. I have a certificate for an overhaul of the API, but not sure if its transferrable.

So, thanks again, and I welcome any more input.

Back