What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jupiter Cycle

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Ok guys... I know some of you bought the Jupiter Cycle scooter in OSH this year. What are the reviews after the fact, now that you?ve all had time to put a few miles on them.

I was concerned that the tires wouldn?t hold up. Solid rubber, batteries/motor inside the tires.

Let?s hear it.

Tinker

Given what I know about battery powered stuff and how manufacturers seem to develop specs (wildly optimistic calculations based on 12 year old girls riding them downhill), I just assume that for me that would be more like 3-5 miles. I also didn't see any weight limit numbers on their web site... the specs were a little thin on detail, so I'm assuming it's not for our more substantial members of the population. Sticking with my feets for now.

It does look like a cool little bike. I liked the battery powered single-wheelie things too, but haven't seen or heard much about them lately either.

I got one of those single wheelie things recently. It's an InMotion V5F+, it can go 30 miles on a single charge and max speed is 16mph, weighs around 27lbs. Easily fits through the baggage door of the RV-10, and it rode in a back seat footwell to OSH and back not even taking up usual baggage space.
It feels pretty zippy. The learning curve is pretty steep though. I've got around 65 miles on it now and just beginning to get comfortable with it.
I'm the weirdo of the neighborhood now, like I was around 15 years ago with the first version of the Segway. :D

Lenny

It does look like a cool little bike. I liked the battery powered single-wheelie things too, but haven't seen or heard much about them lately either.

My wife got me the Jupiter Bike for my birthday. I have ridden it for a couple of days and here?s my initial reactions.

Pro?s:

The design is brilliant (in the British sense of the word). It is amazing how tightly it folds up and how easy it it to fold and unfold.

Construction quality is good. The only Chinsey part was the original seat which is replaced with a high quality upgrade seat as part of the OSH package deal.

Amazing power and acceleration. I?m a bit fluffy but it right gets up and goes.
It feels a little unstable at first but you catch on quickly and get better at handling it with experience.

Battery range has been good so far. It shows battery bars on your smartphone via Bluetooth. At first I was concerned because it dropped the first two bars quite quickly, but it stabilized and the midrange ?half tank? lasted quite a while. Not a long distance cruiser by any means but should be good for a day around OSH or a run for a burger from a country airport. Top speed is over 20 mph with me on it, but dropping back to 15 seemed to extend battery life.

Cons:

Ride quality is very stiff. The tires are small and are solid rubber, which is good for Maint but bone jarring on things like expansion joints on pavement or concrete. The upgraded seat is a must have and the only shock abortion the thing has.

Needs a better ?smart? charger. The charger works quick (full charge in about 2 hours) but the manual stresses not to leave it plugged in more than three hours.
There is a red/green light in the charger but you can?t just plug it in at night to be ready in the morning. Very inconvenient. I?m guessing that a smart charger will be an upgrade option soon.

Overall, it?s fun and I can think of several situations where it will be handy, airshow ramps being top of the list. Not really a commuter bike except for a very narrow range of situations. It will definitely fit in almost any airplane but it does seem heavy for its size and weight will cause it to be left behind on some trips.

Back