What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop removal

dromuald

I am pulling my Hartzell CS prop for overhaul. I have the Hartzell manual and the removal/install looks pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any tips or gotchas for the process. Thanks

Just be patient with the removal, only a couple turns of the wrench then move on to the next nut.

Have someone there to take the weight as the last couple threads come out, and to help you lift it down from the engine.

Get the Hartzell prop tool from Anti Splat, it makes it much easier, especially for the 3 bladed props on 540's.

Get the Hartzell prop tool from Anti Splat, it makes it much easier, especially for the 3 bladed props on 540's.

Another plug for the anti-splat prop wrench. Makes things a whole lot easier.

Definitely buy the Anti-Splat wrench.

I have seen these nuts with the corners rounded off from using a cheap wrench. That creates a HUGE problem that you will regret.

Hartzell

A standard engine hoist can make this job a lot easier but it?s not necessary. Cargo straps or rope make a nice sling. Anti Splat wrench works great but a high strength good quality open end has gotten the job done since the early days of Hartzell. As previously mentioned back off the nuts evenly.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back