What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Kits

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Likely will be building a RV-14 quick build and trying to sort out required tools. There are several companies that supply kits to the specific build and then offer optional tools. How does a first time builder determined what is really required? I am less concerned about price as much a doing a good job without the proper or most convenient tools.

I have been looking at this company.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...5027b10ac2/1549060644224/RV_Kit_CatalogR5.pdf

Thanks,

Glenn

Cleaveland Tool

I bought a slightly modified version of the RV-14 tool kit from Cleaveland Tool, and then added tools as needed over time: http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Vans-RV-Airframe-Tool-Package/productinfo/RVKIT/14/#.XY1eEC2ZPOQ

Although I bought both 2x and 3x guns, I only use my 3x. I like the Sioux drill option; sweet little drill. I bought 4 different yokes (4", 3", 2" and longeron) for the pneumatic squeezer and the hand squeezer (Main Squeeze) and use them all frequently. Their dimple dies are precisely milled.

Most of all, the customer service at Cleaveland Tool is second to none - Annette and Mike are awesome.

_Alex

I just posted about this over in my build thread. I just got my empennage kit and I need pretty much all the tools. I'm thinking about ordering the Cleaveland RV-14 kit as well although look at the concerns I raised in the other thread if you are interested... the kit doesn't seem to line up all that well with the recommended tools list per Vans.

Another vote for Cleaveland Tool

I'll cast my vote for Cleaveland Tool. Family owned and family run, and they build RVs! Super friendly and always helpful. They often know what I need before I do. Totally connected to the builder community. I don't know them personally in any way - I'm just a satisfied customer. :)

There are numerous threads about just this topic. Use the Advanced Search selection, at the bottom of the pop-up Search window, to close in on them.

Some tools in the kit aren't necessary or can be replaced by something equally effective and cheaper, like the DRDT-2 being replaced by a C-frame and big hammer. Personally, I'd rather have a flexible air hose instead of swivels like the one shown. But some of the options might make sense, such as the extra drills.

You might also want a drill press and a band saw, or maybe not, depending on the requirements of that airplane. I certainly did on my RV-3B, but perhaps an RV-14 doesn't, I don't know.

For dimple dies, there's one company and one company only: Cleaveland. The other tools can be gotten at most of the vendors. While I like Cleaveland, my other go-to is usually The Yard Store, which has a nice line of pneumatic tools (I like their riveters) and low prices generally. Those two stores cover most of the tools for me.

Find some nearby builders and talk with them about what works and what doesn't. Pay attention to what they aren't using - you might not, either.

And don't be too surprised if you continue to buy tools even well into the project. Most of us do, I think.

Dave

Good timing

Glad Glenn posted this. I, too, am starting the tool purchase journey for an 14 build so appreciate the feedback. Looking for quality tools that will help in the build process (ie - pneumatic) rather than basic ones. Also, would like to see a list of all the extras (bandsaw, dual grinder, etc) that 14 builders recommend.

Jason has a good list for his 10 build, with what is good vs not needed. Would love to see that for the 14. And, thanks for your links above. If there are folks in the SF Bay Area, I?ll be happy to buy a lunch or martinis for tool ideas and purchases.

Glad Glenn posted this. I, too, am starting the tool purchase journey for an 14 build so appreciate the feedback. Looking for quality tools that will help in the build process (ie - pneumatic) rather than basic ones. Also, would like to see a list of all the extras (bandsaw, dual grinder, etc) that 14 builders recommend.

Jason has a good list for his 10 build, with what is good vs not needed. Would love to see that for the 14. And, thanks for your links above. If there are folks in the SF Bay Area, I?ll be happy to buy a lunch or martinis for tool ideas and purchases.

It is really hard to know what you need to get and not get when you don't have the project in front of you and are not the conversant in sheet metal work.

It is really hard to know what you need to get and not get when you don't have the project in front of you and are not the conversant in sheet metal work.

Buy one of the tool kits for the 14 and just expect to buy more as you proceed over the next few years. Some not included tools are for specialized use and may be needed only once or twice during the build but are still worth buying as you progress. Don't get weighed down thinking you need to buy everything up front just to build the tail kit, the standard 14 tool kits will get you through the tail kit. Many tool choices are preference like C frame vs. DRDT or pneumatic squeezer vs hand squeezer. You really can't make a decision unless you try or see both or have a mentor or tech counselor available. Jump in and start building and you will be that much closer to flying your airplane.

And when you do find a builder and they are showing you their tools, expect to spend more than an hour learning and asking questions.

Dave

I'd highly encourage you to hook up with an EAA chapter if you have one anywhere close. They usually have tools cribs to share things. Could save you some money for one-off stuff (e.g. tube bender). Plus invaluable source of knowledge, tips and technical advice.

Mentor

And when you do find a builder and they are showing you their tools, expect to spend more than an hour learning and asking questions.

Dave

What he said. Best money you spend is the gas money to go to your Mentor's shop. That few hours will help you not only learn how but which tools you want. In the end, it may save you money on tools you may not use.
Dave happens to be my mentor and and endless source of knowledge.

Back