What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Short ?

I "play" at trying the short field, but

The best I have done is about 600-650, hard, dry surface and no tire skidding -- at about 1700lbs in my -6A.

Maybe I could do a little better, but harder on everything!

Ron

Not me...

I believe solo, low fuel, dragging it in and holding my mouth right, I could land my -4 that short, but I don't go out looking to try ! I think the risk of whacking something to prove the point is worthless, and it wont win the Alaska bush plane record !

At my home field, the first taxiway is 660' from the threshold. I can make that some of the time, IF the approach is dead solid perfect and stable, with 65 knots on short final and I plant it on the numbers :).

Needless to say, this doesn't happen often, but it feels good when it does :)

Actually, Not A Bad Thing To Practice

Let me clarify...
With a 53-55 kt approach in the 9A (GW Vso of 44 Kts), it's not an unreasonable target. Rather than risk flat- spotting a tire or wearing out your brakes, it's best to just coast on by the end of the target zone. You'll know it you could have made it without breaking a sweat.
Why is this practice and knowledge important? Even if you're landing mostly on 2200ft+ paved runways like I do, it's nice to know that just about any hole on a golf course will work in an emergency. Wide, smooth, no power lines to contend with, and nothing bigger than a golf cart to challenge you.
Next: Practice cutting power to idle a various points in the downwind and with varying wind conditions to make sure you can hit your target at the correct speed, every time. Don't forget to slip if you have to.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Challenging but possible.

Does. Anybody , actually land a RV 4/6/7/8/9 , in 350 feet ???? :confused:

I have couple of those under my belt. Where I was literally limited by those numbers. It could be done in RV9 for sure just need some practice as Terry said. Every knot of a headwind component and absence of obstructions helps greatly. :)

Richmond%20Island%20-%201%202.jpg

Harsens%20Island%20-%201%203.jpg

Sacandaga%20fish%20camp%20-%201.jpg

Consistently? Not yet. But I did manage to be down and turned off in just over 500' once. With a wheel landing, no less. I still don't know exactly what went right on that approach... I was #4 in a line of planes and paid more attention out of the cockpit than in, and flew it mostly by the seat of my pants...

I really admire that RVs can land on short, rough fields, unlike my Lancair. I can only land on paved strips and the best I've been able to do is 2,200'. I'm really jealous...

Consistently? Not yet. But I did manage to be down and turned off in just over 500' once. With a wheel landing, no less. I still don't know exactly what went right on that approach... I was #4 in a line of planes and paid more attention out of the cockpit than in, and flew it mostly by the seat of my pants...

My experiences mirror yours Rob.
I couldn't say I could do it consistently because I think it is more luck and circumstance than skill (for me anyway) although I can commit to 1000'.

Short Field

Van flew the RV-3 off the family farm in North Plains, Oregon. The runway was 650 feet long. He and his brother flew a Cub off that strip when they were young, so he knew it very well. I've been there on the ground and can verify that it is short!!

Does. Anybody , actually land a RV 4/6/7/8/9 , in 350 feet ???? :confused:
On dry asphalt or concrete, yes. Less on a good day with a nice flare. I recall a 3-5 kt wind when this video was made.

https://youtu.be/aAoJyhFkiDI

Second Vlad's point about a -9. I've got a little time in my dad's. I think it would be great in a STOL contest. Especially with the 180 hp.

I entered a STOL contest with my -8 a couple of years ago. Was classed with Maule M series (I think). I could takeoff just as quickly/short as them. But couldn't land nearly as short.

Last edited:
In my -4 I stop in 1000' or less without trying to land short. 500-700' is very do-able. I don't feel like going out and pushing it any shorter, though. :p

I question whether everyone has the same thing in mind as they answer the OP's inquiry. Are we talking total runway used or total ground roll after wheels touch? If you nail a three point landing with minimum airspeed, ground roll can certainly be limited to 350/400 foot range depending on weight in an RV.
I used to fly an L-19 towplane and would fly just off the surface for a third of the runway while returning to pick up the next sailplane. In that configuration and 40 degrees of flaps you could cut power and stop in 100 or 150 feet.

I question whether everyone has the same thing in mind as they answer the OP's inquiry. Are we talking total runway used or total ground roll after wheels touch? If you nail a three point landing with minimum airspeed, ground roll can certainly be limited to 350/400 foot range depending on weight in an RV.

The OP was really talking ground roll. Those who say they can land their RV in 350' will not actually post near this number if they competed in a short landing contest where runway left behind is counted.

The OP was really talking ground roll. Those who say they can land their RV in 350' will not actually post near this number if they competed in a short landing contest where runway left behind is counted.
What I posted was a targeted, short landing over no obstacle. Had a group of 5-6 practicing using center of turnoff as runway end.

Over an obstacle is way longer, obviously.

Last edited:
If you haven't done it before its fun to watch the short takeoff and landing contest at the at the Super Cub fly-in at New Holstein, that takes place each year during Airventure. The typical technique is to drag it in low over the grass runway before reaching the marker flags, and then chop the power and hit the brakes. The good ones can get stopped in under 100' (slower stall speed than a short-wing RV of course). I tried my hand on the same runway in my RV-8 and got stopped in....a longer distance!

While entertaining, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of everyday utility to this kind of technique? (perhaps if you're landing on gravel bars?)

Getting better, here's today...

This morning was my best in dad's pasture. I walked off about 550' after wheels touched, and about 675' total from the fence (literally). If I work on my touchdown point and slow it down a bit, I think I could get It under 500' total if things worked out exactly right.

But that said, I'm pretty much a rookie at all this. Your mileage may vary.

https://youtu.be/Bl41enAi514

big tires

This morning was my best in dad's pasture. I walked off about 550' after wheels touched, and about 675' total from the fence (literally). If I work on my touchdown point and slow it down a bit, I think I could get It under 500' total if things worked out exactly right.

But that said, I'm pretty much a rookie at all this. Your mileage may vary.

https://youtu.be/Bl41enAi514
Scott, that looked pretty short to me! Those are some pretty big tires you've got on there. I guess that helps a bit.

The tires...

They can absorb a lot...they can also launch me back into flight if I have too much speed...it's fun to play though!

I sure love this airplane. It's way better than I'll ever be, but I'm having fun learning and trying!

Back