What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Free tail wheel

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys/gals.
Anyone here have an exploded view of the original Vans the tails heel assembly?
I've lost the ability to steer properly, locking pin seems to have failed and I am unaware of what the original set up is meant to be, not the builder.

Cheers.

Check the Flyboy Accessories Website and download their maintenance doc.

There several different tailwheel products on the market but all the ones I have seen work the same way.

Last edited:
+1 for Flyboy Accessories

Flyboy Accessories has the replacement locking pin and spring that fits the Vans tailwheel assembly as well as the upgraded tailwheels. Normal for these to wear out over time. When the tailwheel fork gets disassembled and greased this pin and spring will pop right out. If you haven?t done it in a while you?ll find dried grease and dirt might hold it in. Clean well, grease and reassemble. Standard rules apply for reusing the self locking nut so you may want to order a spare one of those too.

Hi guys/gals.
Anyone here have an exploded view of the original Vans the tails heel assembly?
I've lost the ability to steer properly, locking pin seems to have failed and I am unaware of what the original set up is meant to be, not the builder.

Cheers.

Happened to me a couple years ago. My guess is that it is simply the tailwheel steering/control arm that needs to be replaced rather than the pin. They wear over time. Easily found on vans website or purchasable through flyboy.

Thanks guys.
I disassembled the original tail wheel and found after cleaning that the locking pin was jammed in the retracted position due lack of lubricant. Seems the grease nipple does nothing?
After cleaning, lubrucation the original set up works well.
I had considered an after market assembly but the cost is prohibitive due a poor exchange rate 😞 I now have full authority back👍
Thanks guys👍

Steering Pin Lubrication

Thanks guys.
I disassembled the original tail wheel and found after cleaning that the locking pin was jammed in the retracted position due lack of lubricant. Seems the grease nipple does nothing?
After cleaning, lubrucation the original set up works well.
I had considered an after market assembly but the cost is prohibitive due a poor exchange rate 😞 I now have full authority back👍
Thanks guys👍

Vans recommends using only dry-lube (LPS) on the locking pin mechanism and steering arm. Grease will retain dirt and debris which can cause the pin to stick.

Skylor

I only had engine oil at hand when I reassembled the set up but shall get some dry lube.
I can't see what the grease nipple does? There was no sign of grease inside at all and it has been greased a few times?! Odd?

Hi Capt, hope all is well! I was reading ahead for my own C/I and also downloaded the Flyboy's Accessories "Tailwheel Maintenance" sheets as already recommended by RV6 and Carlos here on the thread. It's an excellent collection of information and operational needs of any tailwheel unit (any of them). The hints will keep anyone operating safely from month to month. One thing that I noticed over time reading these threads is there have been occasional ground loops reported when guys have landed in a cross wind and a worn tailwheel bracket or locking pin has allowed the tailwheel to unexpectedly "unlock" at that magical ground speed and cross wind combo where there is not enough rudder and no tailwheel authority with a free castering wheel and too much speed to prevent a GL. This "can" happen if tailwjeel parts are excessively worn and un-airworthy, and that's caused by improper wear of the metal parts. So not only is a lack of lubricant a potential way for the pin to jam in the "free wheel" condition but worn parts from "un-lubed" operation can also set a tailwheel up for "premature release" if you will, down the line. So a visual inspection is also a god idea to make sure the arm slot and pin are good still. The Flyboy documents draw out what a proper pin and arm slot look like and what worn pins and arms look like to avoid. It is also nice to know individual replacement parts are very cheap and obtainable, and servicing the units are as easy as they are. So even every 6 month look, clean and lube service might be a good idea if dirt and grass strips are common.

I only had engine oil at hand when I reassembled the set up but shall get some dry lube.
I can't see what the grease nipple does? There was no sign of grease inside at all and it has been greased a few times?! Odd?

The grease fitting is worthless, the only way to really service the yoke is to disassemble it as you did. This is a good item for your annual Condition Inspection and will assure your tailwheel will always function as designed.

Back