What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Gear intersection fairings

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
For those using Grove gear you already know there are no aftermarket intersection fairing to be had - so you need to go old school. I find this stuff an easy way to lose my religion.

All surfaces are covered with clear packing tape or clay, and a couple of liberal coats of generic ?extra hold? hair spray as a release agent. Note the very thin stainless steel spatula. It was able to get under the carbon to pop it off, and to slide under where I cut the fairing in half - so it protected the gear leg and wheel pant from the Dremel cutting wheel. The two half?s will be bonded to the wheel pants, and perhaps another bid or two of carbon after that. Of course there will then be the ?micro, sand, repeat? work.

Next will be final rivet of the tail cone top skin, then wings on, then I get to do the upper gear leg intersection fairings.....

Carl
279-E546-E-6-EE9-4-E25-A642-C5777-F98-BFDE.jpg

AD634-E45-B610-4-E22-AFF0-33831731-B878.jpg

D6-C468-D6-90-E8-4-C7-A-B3-E3-9039624443-FC.jpg

Grove air foil intersection fairings are available

Fairings-Etc. has intersection fairings specifically made for Grove Gear.

Steve

Carl, you're working too hard. Ditch the clay; foam shapes much closer to contour, saving fill work and weight later. There isn't any need to pop it off the wheel pant, as it going to get bonded on anyway. And there is little value to carbon in this application. Just use a crowfoot glass.

Pant%20Fairing%20Foam.jpg

Pant%20fairing%20Shaped.jpg

Pant%20fairing%20Glassed.jpg

Gear%20Leg.jpg

Back