What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue protective wrap

jlfernan

Well Known Member
Blue Film

I'm just finishing up my HS and was wondering how long I can leave the blue film that came on the skins on for?

I left mine on until just before I got it inspected. Its good protection during storeage and transport. I removed the blue film around the rivet lines of course.

I was just concerned cause I thought I read somewhere that moisture can form underneath and cause corrosion.

My wing kit was two years old when I bought it from an individual and it had corrosion in a lot of places on the edges of the skins. I would remove it as soon as possible. It is also a real (*&$^&#* to remove when left on for a long period. If you are going to paint the plane the little scuffs and scratches will get sanded out anyway. Just my opinion based on my own experience.

Blue film

I left mine on for a long time on the tail section but removed it as soon as possible on the wings. Van's recommends removing the film as soon as possible because of the possibility of corrosion. I think it depends on your local environment.

To remove that stubborn blue plastic that has been on a long time, use a heat gun to heat the plastic. It comes right off.

Brought my wing kit home in Feb. Started raining just as I left Van's. As soon as I got home, 33 miles away,I unloaded, & opened up the 2 crates. One had moisture & the other did not. Left them open in my dry pole barn. Finally got around to the wing kit a year later. Parts in the box that got wet had a little corrosion under the plastic, parts in the dry box did not.

Remove it

Everyone I know has had corrosion under the edges. Remove it and wear some shades!

How long can I leave the blue protective wrap on the skins before it becomes next to impossible to remove? Once we left it on a skylight outside and we had to order a new window because the sun baked it on. I realize that my HS and so on will not see the sun for awhile, but at the same time my shop does not have airconditioning and the temp inside the shop will be close to 100 degress?
Thanks guys.
HS finished, VS finished and starting on rudder tonight
Russel Koch RV9A

I dunno, but if you're going to paint then you'll end up scotch-briting the whole plane anyway. I'd take the blue stuff off now.

I just learned for myself first hand last night. I've had my wings for six months now, and I am just getting to deburring and dimpling the skins. I'm not removing the blue from the rivet lines, but removing it entirely. It came off, but it left behind adhesive that was not difficult to remove with alcohol, but I feel like if it were on there another six months, it would be a royal PITA to take off. It did come off in sections in some areas, but that may be due to the holes in the plastic from pre-punching-though it is the first time it has done that (empennage and fuel tanks plastic came off without any problem). I plan to get the blue off the rest of my skins within the next week or so. The flaps and ailerons are still in the house, and the plastic is still soft.

IMHO, I don't see the need to leave the blue on, and remove just the rivet lines. If your airplane is going to be painted, the first thing the painter (or you) is going to do, is scuff the surface with a scotchbrite pad anyway... :rolleyes:

When I did the practice kit the blue plastic was impossible to get off. I was told my the class instructor that the kits were sitting around for quite a while. One method he said for making it easier to get off is to use a heat gun or hairdryer to heat it up. That will help it come off easier with minimal residue. I don't have any experience to back it up, but it makes sense to me.

A question about the blue wrap... Is it a protective wrap, seen as an upgrade by Van's, or is it there to provide Van's CNC equipment something to grip?

99% of my kit didn't have the protective wrap. I thought it was a real PITA removing the wrap from the 1% of the parts that had it. If the wrap was optional, I'd pass on it.

If I ever build another RV, the first thing I'll do is remove the wrap. Sure, I'd probably get a few more scratches on the aluminum, but that's why they make primer and paint...

I had such a tough time getting the blue plastic off the inside elevator skins that it left knuckle imprints in the sheet aluminum. I ordered a new skin and removed all the rest very carefully. I fully agree that if you're gong to paint get that aggravating stuff off ASAP. Be sure to use carpet on top of your benches when working on assemblies and take care to keep everything clean from aluminum chips that might get underneath and cause scratches. JMHO based on what I experienced. My plane will be painted BTW.

Blue plastic

I've left it on my -6A for a number of years in the SLOWWW build process. I use a hair dryer (my wife "donated" one!) I then cleaned the surface to remove any remaining residue and never had a problem. Now the real debate is does it (the blue plastic) really do any good? If you hit it with a sharp edge it will cut and as far as oxidation, the parts that were cut away to reveal the rivet lines looks normal.
Paul
N694BP Reserved

All -
I guess - I'm in the other camp.
I'm still hoping (against all probability) that I will have a partially polished plane - so I'm trying to keep that blue devil on as long as possible.
One of the things I've found is that the vinyl - even though it is fairly thin - is REALLY good at protecting the skins. And not only from scratches - but from those annoying little dings & dents that seem to come out and "gotcha.."
I'll let you know how hard it is to remove when the time comes.
Lorin D
9A Wings...

I left plastic on some of my fuselage skins for ~2 years in a garage that sees 90+ degrees in summer. It was certainly tougher to remove, but rolling it up around a broomstick made the process not too painful. And worth the protection from scratches and "garage rash".

Paul

In a humid climate the blue plastic induces corrosion...

In a humid climate it induces corrosion. Not a problem if you live in Arizona I guess. See the June 8th posting here.

Back