What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size for cutout in panel

rkochcyxh

I'm cutting my panel. The radio stack has A Garmin GMA240, SL30,SL40 and a Transponder GTX327. Has anybody put in the same stack and if so what size hole did you cut. So far I'm thinking Width 6 1/8 in and Height 5 5/8 in. I don't want it too sloppy. Thanks
Russel Koch
RV9A
C-GKOC Reserved

Russel,

Mine is 6 1/4 wide X 5 1/2 High.

I have the GMA240, Sl30, Sl40 and GTX330 stack.

Seems like you are under by 1/8 on the width and over by 1/8 on the height.
:confused:

I hope that helps a little.

Good luck!

Avionics Stack Cut-Out

Hi Russel,

By using/measuring several typical trays (Garmin, ICOM, PS Engineering), I came up with a panel cut-out width of 6.1875 inch (6-3/16) and 6.3125 (6-5/16) between the mounting angles behind the panel. The 6.1875 panel cut-out allows for the trays to be mounted behind the Vans .063-inch thick instrument panel. I tried fitting the transponder, radio, etc., with this configuration and they slid-in and locked fine with some depth to spare between the back of the avionics bezel and the panel.

As John says, the standard panel cut-out width is 6.250, and the trays are mounted flush with the front of the instrument panel instead of behind it. I wanted my trays behind the panel so that the cut-out could not be easily seen behind the avionics front face bezels. Note: I don?t know if you can mount the trays behind a thicker instrument panel (.090, for example, ala Affordable Panels) and still slide-in the avionics and lock them.

As far as the tray mounting angles are concerned, it appears that they must be at least 6.300 inches apart so that any typical tray can fit between them. (The ICOM tray was slightly wider than the Garmin and PS Engineering ones.) I installed my angles 6.3125 inches apart figuring I can always shim the trays to center them.

As far as the height is concerned, it?s a good idea to add between .032 and .063 between each avionic component in order to promote some air circulation between them. This is usually done by stacking the trays with spacers. Then measure the total stacked tray height and cut.

Note: For the panel cut-out, you can always go narrower/lower and widen later. It?s more difficult to start wider and narrow later! The space between the mounting angles needs to be decided up-front, though.

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)

thanks

thanks guys. I think I'll start at 6 3/16 wide and I'll go to 5 1/2 high. As you said I can always make it larger.
Russel Koch
RV9A
C-GKOC;)

Back