What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unwelded control horn

engineerorange

Well Known Member
All, check your weldments for complete welds before riveting things together. My elevator control horn came partially welded from Van's.

DSC00327.jpg

Last edited:
This is NORMAL. Van's does this because they know there is very little room for a bolt head and nut when you go to drill through the center bearing in the HS. I called Van's Tech support over a spacing issue and they mentioned they stop the weld in that area because so many builders have called to mention the hole is VERY close to the weld, leaving little to no room to get a wrench or socket around the bolt/nut.

Mine is welded

I just checked my elevators and found that mine are welded in that area. I'd get replacements from Vans.

Just a heads up

Gus at Van's agrees that this part should be replaced, I just posted to make others aware that they should check their parts as well.

I will order a new part Monday.

That's the end that rivets to the elevator, no bolts near there.

This is NORMAL. Van's does this because they know there is very little room for a bolt head and nut when you go to drill through the center bearing in the HS. I called Van's Tech support over a spacing issue and they mentioned they stop the weld in that area because so many builders have called to mention the hole is VERY close to the weld, leaving little to no room to get a wrench or socket around the bolt/nut.

Back