What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo RockRack Switches/Accessories - A Possible Solution

SeanB

Well Known Member
I recently did a little more research into the Aveo RockRack Switches
I purchased for my RV7. I'm aware of the frustration and lack of
inventory these days. Plus, some of the recent wiring questions.

In an internet search, I fortunately ran into and eventually spoke with
Stan Smith of 21st Century Aviation. Stan was a prior Aveo Dealer and
has been able to get the rights for that switch product line. Stan
reports:

* The switches are now called "AeroRockers".

* All of the former Aveo RockRack basic rockers are in stock plus many
new ones.

* 21st Century Aviation sells single switch rockers (you don't have to buy 20 like with Aveo).

* He also offers custom covers.

* All of the original RockRack LED colors are in stock plus Amber LED
switches have been added.

* He has switches in 1 or 2 LED options, and all the different poles
and throws.

* Identical dimensions, fit, and function as Aveo parts.

* I saw some of the revamped drawings. Very nice with illustrations of
circuit diagrams, wiring for dimmers, always illuminated, etc.

Stan is working on his new website, and has PDF product sheets he can
send to you directly now.

Email to: [email protected]
Phone: 417-844-0532

I have no affiliation; just wanted to pass along some good news for
RockRack users and those who may still want to use these switches.

I recently did a little more research into the Aveo RockRack Switches
I purchased for my RV7. I'm aware of the frustration and lack of
inventory these days. Plus, some of the recent wiring questions.

In an internet search, I fortunately ran into and eventually spoke with
Stan Smith of 21st Century Aviation. Stan was a prior Aveo Dealer and
has been able to get the rights for that switch product line. Stan
reports:

* The switches are now called "AeroRockers".

* All of the former Aveo RockRack basic rockers are in stock plus many
new ones.

* 21st Century Aviation sells single switch rockers (you don't have to buy 20 like with Aveo).

* He also offers custom covers.

* All of the original RockRack LED colors are in stock plus Amber LED
switches have been added.

* He has switches in 1 or 2 LED options, and all the different poles
and throws.

* Identical dimensions, fit, and function as Aveo parts.

* I saw some of the revamped drawings. Very nice with illustrations of
circuit diagrams, wiring for dimmers, always illuminated, etc.

Stan is working on his new website, and has PDF product sheets he can
send to you directly now.

Email to: [email protected]
Phone: 417-844-0532

I have no affiliation; just wanted to pass along some good news for
RockRack users and those who may still want to use these switches.

This is EXCELLENT news...thanks for finding this!

How are these different than carling switches and custom rocker covers from a place like rocker switch pros?

How are these different than carling switches and custom rocker covers from a place like rocker switch pros?

They aren't, really. The Aveo switches were Carling bodies and covers, just with Aveo's custom markings. I suspect the benefit here is that you can get the same markings that Aveo offered, which was already a reasonably well thought out set for aviation.

They aren't, really. The Aveo switches were Carling bodies and covers, just with Aveo's custom markings. I suspect the benefit here is that you can get the same markings that Aveo offered, which was already a reasonably well thought out set for aviation.

I wasn't able to find the *precise* switch cover shape (raised areas along sides with a certain curvature, etc.), but then maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

In any case, even if I could, yes it's nice not to have to go find someplace to do the custom marking and make sure it matches, etc.

I wasn't able to find the *precise* switch cover shape (raised areas along sides with a certain curvature, etc.), but then maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

In any case, even if I could, yes it's nice not to have to go find someplace to do the custom marking and make sure it matches, etc.

More important - does he have a dual LED switch body with independent LEDS and two poles?

That seems to be the hardest part to find. :)

Good to hear. I had seen the video from Raptor Aircraft and had a business card from Oshkosh but the website hasn't worked any time I've tried it and I assumed it was another pipe dream. Glad someone's got some options out there.

Gil,

Following is a reply from Stan. I believe he has drawings and other material if you reach out to him.

?ALL of the LEDs in the AeroRocker switches are electrically separate
from the internal switching mechanisms. The LEDs are then able to be
connected however the builder desires. The options for this are limited
(pretty much) only by the imagination of the builder.

The LEDs of the 2-LED switches are the same - electrically isolated.?

I remember a number of years ago looking at Aveo and holding the Carling catalog up next to it and thinking "yep, same caps". It's possible Aveo changed their cap sometime after that, but at the time it was one of the fancier Carling caps.

Update: I think the Aveo caps were the Contura V series, shown on this page.

az_gila said:
More important - does he have a dual LED switch body with independent LEDS and two poles?

That seems to be the hardest part to find.
I further recall from earlier research that the switches can be disassembled, and the incandescent bulbs replaced with LED's. The incandescents are the same (5mm) size as the LED's. This would be a last resort, perhaps... Adding a fair bit more work but at least you'd get to the same result.

Last edited:
Gil,

Following is a reply from Stan. I believe he has drawings and other material if you reach out to him.

?ALL of the LEDs in the AeroRocker switches are electrically separate
from the internal switching mechanisms. The LEDs are then able to be
connected however the builder desires. The options for this are limited
(pretty much) only by the imagination of the builder.

The LEDs of the 2-LED switches are the same - electrically isolated.?

I just checked.

Unfortunately the two LED switches he has are three position ON/OFF/ON ones.

Not really. Aveo was using APEM switches, KR series I believe. The actuators (covers) are quite different and will not work with Carlings.

When I was talking with Aveo a few years ago about buying out the RockRack line (they were not open to doing it back then) I done a lot of research on them. APEM switches are nice, but more expensive, and harder to get in the US than Carling.

If they are Contura V actuators then they are the same as those used for custom etching by rockerswitchpros.com...

https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/contura-v-blank/

They aren't. Close, but no cigar.

BTW, Stan has been *outstanding* to work with on getting "ready spares" for my switch covers, and even pointed out that there were two styles of Aveo switch tops (one with a small window at the bottom, one without)

I just shot a video from my phone to show the differences between the old APEM (Aveo RockRack) and the Carling Contura V's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA_-9YOK8M

Please forgive the mess :) That is my workshop and my wife and I have been making custom mugs with the laser, (well more her than me) and a bunch of other stuff, and we haven't had time to clean up the shop. I've also got some long paused electronics projects on my workbench too. heh.

I also show the 5 gang switch panel I put together for the other thread. I lasered up one of the actuators early this morning just to demo and make sure I had my power/speed/DPI settings on my laser.

I just shot a video from my phone to show the differences between the old APEM (Aveo RockRack) and the Carling Contura V's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA_-9YOK8M

Please forgive the mess :) That is my workshop and my wife and I have been making custom mugs with the laser, (well more her than me) and a bunch of other stuff, and we haven't had time to clean up the shop. I've also got some long paused electronics projects on my workbench too. heh.

I also show the 5 gang switch panel I put together for the other thread. I lasered up one of the actuators early this morning just to demo and make sure I had my power/speed/DPI settings on my laser.

Your video is good, but you got one thing wrong...there IS an actuator for APEM (Rockrack) switches, but it is a separate part that snaps into the switch cover (at which point, it looks very much like the Contura switch...I wonder if the Contura switch shown is actually two parts, the cover and the actuator, which *can* be separate?).

Now, whether an APEM switch cover+actuator would fit in and work a Carling switch body, I dunno...but they are *very* similar...

Your video is good, but you got one thing wrong...there IS an actuator for APEM (Rockrack) switches, but it is a separate part that snaps into the switch cover (at which point, it looks very much like the Contura switch...I wonder if the Contura switch shown is actually two parts, the cover and the actuator, which *can* be separate?).

Now, whether an APEM switch cover+actuator would fit in and work a Carling switch body, I dunno...but they are *very* similar...

Man, now that you mentioned it, I do remember those APEM's having that second "actuator" piece that the covers snapped on to. Like I said, its been several years (2 house moves, 1 new kid, 1 new job, etc) since I last tinkered with selling those switches, so a lot of it is foggy...at best. :)

Here is the APEM weblink for that line of switch and covers/actuators: https://www.apem.com/us/kr-series-186.html

I did another video showing the differences of the two in a little more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkr69tw0V6s

Not really. Aveo was using APEM switches, KR series I believe. The actuators (covers) are quite different and will not work with Carlings.
Interesting, I stand corrected. It was about 5 years ago that I looked into this in detail, I guess my memory isn't what it used to be... :p

They aren't. Close, but no cigar.

BTW, Stan has been *outstanding* to work with on getting "ready spares" for my switch covers, and even pointed out that there were two styles of Aveo switch tops (one with a small window at the bottom, one without)

Received my full set of spares from Stan a few days ago...look great, and I can't say enough about his excellent customer service! Very quick email responses, always with good info and very helpful in sorting out what to get (there are some different style covers from Aveo, depending on when they were made, and Stan explained what's up there).

Great supplier...highly recommended for those Aveo Rockrack users! (And shame on Aveo for dropping them, thus abandoning their customers, but as Stan said, their loss is his gain :) ).

Aveo Rock Rack Switches with VPX

Chipping away at my plane. Called and spoke with Stan (21st Century Aviation (417)-844-0532) again today regarding my Aveo Rock Rack Switches and his solutions. Found out Stan will be at OSH this year at the Whisper Aircraft Exhibit (#646) with some of his products and demo pieces.

I've been struggling with how to wire my switches to a dimmer and to my Vertical Power VPX Pro. Stan has shown great patience and excellent support in this. He reports having stock of many needed items and the ability to make custom switch covers.

For those seemingly stranded with Aveo's move away from this product line, or those looking for a sharp product for your project, Stan seems a great option.

Also, would like to thank my friend and fellow builder, John Armstrong, for his incredible help in this process. So nice to have such talented people in my corner.

Last edited:
It Can Be Done!

With much help (thanks, John!) was able to get a dimmer, then full bright when actuated, while interfacing with VPX switch setup on the Rock Rack Switches!!! Looks awesome! One reason I like the Rock Rack switches, 8 terminals allows you to do some things. Will be picking up some replacement switch covers and one custom cover from Stan (21st Century Aviation...see previous post) while at OSH. Awesome customer service and product support from Stan makes me happy I have this product again.

Back