What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Action Camera Equivalent to Go-Pro $70

I've looked at a number of cheaper action cameras... I'd be interested to see if that one has image stabilization, and if so how / how well it works. If you post video on line anywhere, please post a link.

For me, the image stabilization on the new Hero 5 and Virb Ultra are the tipping point that has me looking at them.

Ion Air Pro 2 wifi has been fine at $100.

The newer Gopros are much better at night.

I use window tint film and a tie-wrap in bright light to remove most of the prop blur.

Action Cam from Amazon

I bought something similar about a year ago from Amazon. Good quality for my needs, plus came with numerous accessories. The only thing these inexpensive cameras were missing at the time was the audio input capability to record cockpit audio (this may have changed in a year).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhI32deWW78

Ion Air records audio-in. Put a 1/4" adapter plug in a headphone jack with 2, 1/4" jacks. One for headphone, one to run a cable to the audio-in jack. Adapt the 1/4" down to 2.5mm. You lose the wifi cap to do this, but you gain access to the micro-usb to have unlimited power.

If mounting externally without cables, you keep wi-fi capability, you lose running power, battery lasts over an hour. You will record slipstream noise.

Has a 1/4-20 mount, easy to fab mounting. Mine sits inside over the pax right shoulder, easy to start/stop.

Back