What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical stabilizer rivet question

slngsht

Well Known Member
I'm pretty much done with vertical stabilizer. The joint between the middle rib and rear spar calls for LP4-3 blind rivets. I'm wondering why it calls for blind rivets since both sides are accessible before the skin goes on.:confused:

If you rivet the rear spar to the rib and then put the skin on, what kind of rivets are you going to use in the skin to front spar and skin to rib?

If I remember correctly, the ribs and front spar are riveted to the skin first without the rear spar in place, so that you can buck the skin to rib rivets. Then the rear spar is put in place and at this point there would be no access to the back of those spar to rib rivets. It may be possible to change the assembly order slightly to avoid this, but I would just go with the plans and keep it simple.

Chris

If I remember correctly, the ribs and front spar are riveted to the skin first without the rear spar in place, so that you can buck the skin to rib rivets. Then the rear spar is put in place and at this point there would be no access to the back of those spar to rib rivets. It may be possible to change the assembly order slightly to avoid this, but I would just go with the plans and keep it simple.

Chris
that's exactly right Chris... when in doubt, read the construction manual again. Thanks

Back