What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quantico bound USMC RV-newbie

douglassmt

Well Known Member
Yesterday I met (through a mutual friend) a nice young active-duty USMC Captain (helo driver) just back from deployment who was interested in building a plane - not very familiar with RVs. He qualifies for my "anytime, anyplace, for as long as you want, no charge" plane-ride policy for any active-duty military. After a couple hours of flying I think it's safe to say he enjoyed it and is now VERY interested in building an RV. He will be assigned soon to Quantico for a few years and is considering whether to start a plane now. I don't know any RVers in the Quantico area but I'm certain you are there. I would love to connect him with the VAF community on the east coast so he can see/fly some other RV models and get some help if he decides to build. Can we give him a BIG VAF welcome that I can forward to him to get him started?

If you would be willing to connect with him/help him out, just reply to this post. I'll get him to sign up on VAF and then he can reply to each of you. You have my thanks in advance.

EAA Chapter 1099 (Fredericksburg, VA) is full of RVers, active duty, and retired Marines. We even have a couple of active duty HMX-1 pilots (Marine One...).

We meet a variety of places but often at some of our members homes at Dogwood Airpark.

If he wants to build an RV he will have good company with about a half dozen or more flying RVs completed by Chapter members and a handful of active projects including one by our current President who happens to be, tada, an retired Marine.

So if he's going to be at Quantico he might as well join us and get started banging rivets.

If you send him my way I will take care of him as I just accepted the VP slot in the chapter for the coming year.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the great VAF community welcome! I thoroughly appreciate it and look forward to learning more about RV's and hopefully meeting you in the near future. As Bryan mentioned, I will be in the Quantico, VA area in the coming months, and I hope to meet some of you and learn more about all the different RV models. I'd be more than happy to help bang out some rivets if possible, and start learning about the building process.

Cheers, and thank you again for the welcome!

Welcome to VAF, Rich!

Great wealth of knowledge here, and very welcoming group. I'm just starting out on my RV-9A build and have already had an amazing amount of advice and support.

I promise not to hold the Marine thing against ya. At least you're in the right department!

Jan 17th fly in (NC)

Rich,
Look at the post in the southeast region for the Jan 17th RV fly-in being put together by Stroh21 , an active military pilot that is also looking at the RV's. We are getting a pretty good number of planes together at either Carthage or Moore Co.(KSOP) near Fayetteville NC to showcase the different models.

Welcome to VAF, Rich!

Great wealth of knowledge here, and very welcoming group. I'm just starting out on my RV-9A build and have already had an amazing amount of advice and support.

I promise not to hold the Marine thing against ya. At least you're in the right department!

Best of luck to you on the RV-9A! That's right, the men's department, haha. Thank you for your long service as well! Look forward to talking more about RV's with you in the future.

Semper Fi, Rich

Rich,
Look at the post in the southeast region for the Jan 17th RV fly-in being put together by Stroh21 , an active military pilot that is also looking at the RV's. We are getting a pretty good number of planes together at either Carthage or Moore Co.(KSOP) near Fayetteville NC to showcase the different models.

Bill,

Thank you for the rudder steer toward this local RV gathering, I appreciate it! Hope to meet you in the near future. I will check out the southeast region posts for the 17th.

Back