What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bow in Spar Doubler

rkochcyxh

I hope to start my emp tomorrow. I was looking at the parts that I will start with and noticed that both spar doubler plates (HS-906 and HS-907) have a slight bow. When laid flat the middle is 1/4" off the table. Is this normal? I think, that to get rid of it, I will have to over flex it a bit to get it to sit flat. Really appreciate your input.
Thanks.
Russel Koch
RV9A EMP just starting

Yep. Totally normal. The punched parts tend to distort. More severely as the part size increases in area and thickness. Like that doubler you are looking at. I would recommend not even trying to straighten it out too much. It will be just fine in assembly.

Good to go

I had the same issue and thought it might have been bent in shipment. I talked to support at Vans and Gus says that it is a result of the NC machining. This is to be expected and you can use the part as is or you can put it over your knee and unbend it some. Once you rivet the part down it won't be bent anymore.

Yup, tearing in to my 7 empanage, I noticed the same thing. I figgerd' that once rivetted it would suck down flat.

While it is quite true that many parts that are bowed or misshapen from the factory can be assembled with little or no adverse consequences, I would make the argument that it is best to get in the habit of reshaping all parts to their targeted design condition early in the fabrication process. Things fit better afterwards. There are PLENTY of "opportunities" to use this type of handiwork in your future, so get used to it. I think the only parts you won't have to tweak in some manner are the main wing spars and the skins! :D

So far, on my project, the toughest reshaping job was the small skin where the tailwheel exits the fuselage. Having already practiced the art of forcing aluminum into submission on previous parts, this tail cone was simply an annoyance rather than a show stopper.

Good luck and keep pounding!!

Back