What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you do to pay for your flying addiction?

human mechanic

I started with motorcycles, was an A&P thru college, now Im in private practice as a Physical Therapist. I guess once a mechanic always a mechanic :rolleyes:
Pat

RV9-A Builder

Hi all,
I'm retired and living and building off of SS. I'd like all of you folks to keep on working and paying your SS tax so my check don't stop and I can keep on building my 9-A.
Actually that is not quite true, I am on SS but I also do some farming up in North East Nebraska. I have a VERY understanding wife, four grown children and fifteen grand children ages form 6 to 21.
My 9-A should be finished this summer. It has an 0-320 D1A with a CS Prop and all steam guages. When she is finished it will be aircraft number 13. My first flying machine was a Benson gyrocopter in 1962 or so.
N-HS52 res

Not officially building yet, but gettin' ready to - trying to decide between -7 and -9 (please! don't confuse me any more than I am! DR talked to my father-in-law and now he's steering me to a -7 when a -9 was what I was planning on)... So I'm just buying tools for the time being.

Computer geek - C# programmer, but want to do embedded systems if I get the chance (EFIS would be way cool). I play with PICs and digital electronics here and there.

I really want to do what FLTENG and Bob Axsom do, but alas, it doesn't pay the bills. I got to go up and see what fehdxl does in a -135 when I was 17 (JROTC) - now that's cool! We refueled the Thunderbirds over Nebraska somewhere.

Wife is a kindergarten teacher (so she knows how to deal with me). We're trying for rugrats so I gotta build quick or wait 20 years...

Last edited:
Another Engineer

I'm a contract Mechanical Engineer. Wife works too. Dinks (at home). Payin' for it as I go.
Bill Jepson
RV-10 tail feathers done
working on the tailcone.
20B rotary for power.

RV-9A Carpenter

I'm a carpenter/General Contractor in Alberta Canada. I was an Air Traffic Controller 28 years ago. Did that for nearly 7 years. Got my ppl 30 years ago and quit flying when I quit ATC. I was in retail for 8 years and have been in the trades for the last 20 years. I found out that I love working with my hands and building things. Cabinets, houses, schools, etc. I freind took me flying last year and that ride cost me big time. Got my license back, took my night rating and now I'm about to start on a RV9A. My freindly banker agreed to give me a loan, so if I need to I can keep on building. Just have to find the time. Need about 30 hrs in a day.
I'm married (33yrs) and have 2 kids in university. My oldest son died 4 years ago. He would have loved to fly. My daughter loves it and my other son can take it or leave it.
Russel Koch
Medicine Hat, Alberta
RV 9 Emp in shop

I am an orthopaedic surgeon in the Tampa Bay area. Airplane building goes hand in hand with my profession as I get to use power tools in both.
I am a lucky guy in that my wife, while basically a white knuckle flier understands how important this is to me and she humors me. My son, our youngest is away at college but when he comes home on breaks helps buck rivets and hang the engine.

When I was but a wee lad of 13 my dad brought home a basket case Stinson SR-5 and started restoring it. I earned money for Boy Scout camp by sandblasting the fuselage. Dad has died and the Stinson still isn't complete. My brother and I are still struggling with what to do with it.

Obviously this airplane building thing is hereditary.

I am on a second career after 23 years flying a desk in the Air Force working in information systems. I still work in information systems as a program manager and spend my evenings and weekends building a 7A. My military retirement is paying for it, so it may take a while! Just so long as it is paid for before my next retirement. :D

What I Do

20 years in the U.S. Navy serving 2 tours in P-3 Orion squadrons as a Tactical Coordinator, plus some time in the Surface Nav, and staffs. Retired and now work for a next-gen telecom equipment company doing -- you guessed it -- IT stuff. I sit in a cube for 8 hours/day. (Man, do I envy you guys who fly for a living) But it pays the mortgage, is putting the kids through college and most important, allows me to fly a Citabria and build an RV-7! I'm halfway through the 7. I'm hoping to retire -- again -- again in a few years, move to an airport community, where I can fly an ultralight low and slow every day and boom/zoom/travel with the wife to exotic locations in the RV.

Last edited:
Like many others I'm retired USAF. I started out navigating B-52's and then quickly switched to KC-135R's. That aircraft still holds 16 time-to-climb world records.

I'm currrently working as a network administrator/engineer for state government (I just can't get enough government).

MikeJ 7A said:
Now I produce and sell licensed Robot replicas from the 1965 TV show, "Lost in Space". (no kidding) www.lostinspacerobot.com

MikeJ

Mike,

I just checked out your Robot Web site - that is just awesome! I only wish I could afford one....Back about ten years, we were flying a Space Shuttle mission and had a visit from June Lockhart. She spent a couple of hours with us in Mission Control - really pleasant to visit with. She was telling me about how "campy" the show was at times, and I stopped her and said "Look around this room. Most of the Flight Controllers you see here were kids in the middle 60's when your show was on. You were probably as responsible as anyone in starting their interest in space exploration, and bringing them to where they are now!" I know that was true for me - as funny as Lost in Space looks in retrospect, to a ten-year-old back then, it was inspiring!

Paul

Amazed at all the coppers....

on the list and thought I might be in a minority. I too am a Police Lieutenant having worked Patrol, SWAT, K-9, and Major Case Squad investigations since early 90's including several years undercover. Flew eradication in Hueys and OH-58s several years, then cross country surveillance in Partenavias and Broncos for the Feds. I am currently sitting on the short timers list waiting to relocate my charming bride from Missouri back to Colorado so I can enjoy a peaceful co-existance with Aspens and Aluminum.

Maybe we should start a trade account section between list members as it appears we can get everything we need fixed from computers to broken hearts. The "uterus" guys may be bummin though.... :D

Chuck Stratton
RV-9A # 90662

Robots

MikeJ 7A said:
Now I produce and sell licensed Robot replicas from the 1965 TV show, "Lost in Space". (no kidding) www.lostinspacerobot.com
Very cool! Mike, I can't seem to find the movie on your website. Here is the URL: http://www.sev.org/members/jcr/The_First_10.MOV Is that correct? Thanks!

I thought that show was really great when I was a kid. However, I could never figure out why they didn't just bind and gag "The Doctor" - they would have make it home every episode! :) I guess it's the same with Gilligan's Island...but at least the show and the island were named after him.

20+ year IT guy here. Started out programming and quickly moved into management. What a dumb thing to do.

In November I took a chance and went to work for a small internet based software company as the VP of IT. It was a risky move. I figured if the two owners were unable to give up control of the IT function I would not last long.

After three and a half months of bringing order to the chaos they called their IT department I was called in and told I wasn't working out. (Developers selecting which bugs they wanted to work on, developing and testing their own code, and finally putting it into production with no documentation, notification, back out plan, new development without any design documentation, consideration of how it will interact with existing software, and more.) The reason they gave was they wanted someone more technical and not so managerial. In the interview process I told them I was not a technition and if that was what they were looking for I was not intersted in the job.

So for the last week and a half I've been looking for a new job, working on the RV, and painting the family room. Oh, and spoiling my wife.

If any of you need a very good IT manager, let me know.

Last edited:
Second Income

"Married, no kids, blowing through two incomes like it was water on this habit
and loving every minute of it."

Alas, I'm the second income.

Realtor... but my dad was a cop

Bonjour,

I'm a real-estate agent in Gatineau, Qc. I started out as a plumber and after 12 years changed to real-estate and been loving it ever since.

Here is a way that we could all profit ! are you thinking about buying or selling a home ? I have the largest referral network in the world I can contact the best realtor in your area for you and, this is the good part, he has to pay me a referral fee.... now this is the best part I WILL SPLIT IT WITH YOU ! and we can both buy airplane parts.. :) :) :)

? bient?t

Luc Bedard
Chartered real-estate agent
REMAX DIRECT INC.
Gatineau, Quebec
www.lucsellsaylmer.com

RV7 EMP/WINGS
Just about ready to proseal...

New Guy

Unlike many military here, I am just starting out in the Air Force. I am currently a T-38 Instructor at Columbus AFB, Mississippi. My boss told me that I needed to find a hobby to keep myself out of trouble, so I have decided to start building an RV. I've got the garage in order, but I am still having a tough time deciding between the -7 or the -8. Hopefully, I'll get the tail and wings done before I move onto a fighter assignment in 2 years, when things will really be busy!!

So I am 25, single, no kids (that I know of) and stuck in Columbus, Mississippi. Should be able to get a lot of work done in the next few years!

Jay

Last edited:
DarinFred said:
Unlike many military here, I am just starting out in the Air Force. I am currently a T-38 Instructor at Columbus AFB, Mississippi. My boss told me that I needed to find a hobby to keep myself out of trouble, so I have decided to start building an RV. I've got the garage in order, but I am still having a tough time deciding between the -7 or the -8. Hopefully, I'll get the tail and wings done before I move onto a fighter assignment in 2 years, when things will really be busy!!

So I am 25, single, no kids (that I know of) and stuck in Columbus, Mississippi. Should be able to get a lot of work done in the next few years!

Jay

Hello Jay!

T-38 IP? Single? No kids? And you're trying to decide between a -7 and an -8??!! Jay, you need to be using that O2 at a much lower level my man.... :p

The -8 is the way to go, BEFORE you find a wife that might change your mind... :rolleyes:

Paul

Remote Paramedic

No I don't operate by remote control, I operate in remote locations. Currently, I'm working on a drilling rig in the mountains in Colorado. Wish I could fly up here but they would not pay for that although they do pay my airfare. Took me almost 7 years to pay for and build my 6A slow build kit (real slow build, not prepunched).
I'm currently working on completing an education degree using an online university. I plan on "retiring" to teaching.

No kids AND a wife who works and understands RV's.
Any wife who will buck the rivets in the tailcone "gets it!".

Oh yeah, I live just North of Houston, TX.

Last edited:
Looks like I am kinda a loner here so far.

I own a plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning service company. bought out my father last year, and have been very busy with it. Unfortunately the RV7 building time has decreased due to that. My wife is a Speech Therapist at the local hospital.

Currently starting the finish kit. 90% to go!

And on the legal front . . .

I'm an attorney, and formerly was an R&D engineer at a large commercial aerospace company located in Seattle. My partner and I have a small law firm doing mostly civil litigation defense, and despite the ups and downs and stresses of the job (as with any line of work), it does put the kids through school and pay for the -6 to keep flying. My wife is a willing passenger in the RV (hey, our first date was a flight in a rental 172 at the Boeing Employees Flying Association way back in 1985) and has been very supportive of the project since I started in late 1994 - first flight was 9/8/2004, so it was a slllowwww-build for sure.

Ironflight said:
Hello Jay!

T-38 IP? Single? No kids? And you're trying to decide between a -7 and an -8??!! Jay, you need to be using that O2 at a much lower level my man.... :p

The -8 is the way to go, BEFORE you find a wife that might change your mind... :rolleyes:

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------

Amen Paul,

The 8 is the way to go even with a wife. Builder Doll (wife) showed me how much she really loved me, and encourgaged me to build the RV-8. No regrets. After 2400 hours in the T-38, centerline tandem flying is the only way to go.

Touche

Touche...what was I thinking!? I have been leaning toward an -8 ever since I saw a few at Oshkosh back in 03. Thanks for setting me straight!

what do you do

im cabinet maker with 12 years of experience have good income but ,baby on the way im currently on rv-3

OK, I'll chime in...

Mon-Fri 7am-4pm:
I work as an 'information security' nerd at ArchonGroup.com - a full-service investment management and support services company (that's what the web site says) wholly owned by GoldmanSachs.com. Typical computer geek stuff with the occasional photography assignment (apartments, etc). I work with a few guys I've known most of my life and have corrupted several of them with RVation.

All other times:
I run a small aviation web site - usually in pajamas - and do whatever my wife asks.

Best wife in the world, two perfect kids and lots of good friends.

Life is grand.

b,
d

PS: It's nice to know that if I ever need a cop, surgeon or lawyer I can search through this thread and find one :).

Last edited:
RV-9A flying and online story of it all!

I have read all 18 pages of the posts on this thread and see a number of folks I have met in their shops, at LOE5, OSHKOSH, and online. An early posting in this thread by Bob Axsom required that I find my web page with his photo from LOE5 and some talk about his job before his retirement. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a180.htm

As for me, I have been in the cable television and satellite communications industry for the past 34+ years. My 35th anniversary comes on July 26, 2006 as I celebrate my first job with the largest company in the industry that began back in 1971. I applied for that job wearing the only suit I owned at the time, a CLASS-A green uniform of the US Army. I was still on active duty at Fort McPherson when I went for my first civilian job interview.

I fit into the electrical engineering side of this group of RV-builders. I have built satellite uplinks for C-band and Ku-band, both mobile and fixed installations. During my satellite years I met people like Senator Howard Baker, Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill, Burt Reynolds, and Elizabeth Taylor. The company I worked for in those days had contracts to install 40 satellite receiving systems for television stations that premiered the Paramount syndicated show "Entertainment Tonight", which is still running after 25 years. I am now working for a small, family-owned fiber optics company that supports the cable industry and other specialized communications.

As for my flying career, no USAF, no Army helicopters, no airlines -- nada! Like so many others here, as a kid I started in the mid-1950's with the plastic models, Cox 1/2-A control line models, etc. I did not build and fly radio-controlled models until 1978 at the age of 31. I did not start flying lessons in a Cessna 172 until October 1991 and got my PPL in March of 1993. My pilot logbook shows 189 hours of flying rented spam cans around from flight schools before my first flight for transition training in N666RV with Mike Seager. http://n2prise.org\rv9a132.htm#May31

My RV-9A first flew on June 9, 2005 after 2000 hours of building time in my garage and at the airport before I got the airworthiness certificate on June 8th. The project began in October 2002, eleven years after I became a student pilot. I managed to finish my 40 hours of phase-1 testing by July 2nd and took the 3rd off from flying since I put in 10 hours of flying on July 1 & 2. On the Fourth of July, I flew the airplane out of my Tennessee test area for the first time on a short trip into Georgia with some pilot friends. The airplane went into the paint shop on July 5, 2005 and came out the day before Airventure 2005 started. I worked on it that afternoon and the following morning putting in some of the interior and the seats and left for OSH July 24th. I was the last airplane parked in homebuilt camping 30 minutes before the airport closed Sunday evening, July 24th with 51 hours on the Hobbs meter. You can follow my Oshkosh exploits and the trip to New England that followed OSH beginning on this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a151.htm

I was able to put in so much time building and flying during 2005 because I was laid off from my previous job at the end of February 2005. I had the airplane all paid for, and enough money in savings to have some fun through LOE5 before starting to look for a new job. The holidays are a tough time to get a new job unless you are doing something seasonal. It gave me more time to fly my airplane during the holidays to see old and new friends in Florida. All that stuff is documented with photos in my web pages.

You probably know by now that I was a Star Trek fan from the first season it was on NBC in 1966, when I was in college. What else could I call my "star ship" but ENTERPRISE! The whole story of its construction is online at www.n2prise.org for all you builders to see and to ask questions if you don't find what you are seeking in my many photos.

The new job I took in January 2006 will allow me to fly my airplane instead of the airlines when it makes sense for time and money. The new job came just in time before the savings ran out. I am posting this entry from a hotel room in Pittsburgh, PA before a sales "meet and greet" event tomorrow at the local cable system. I had to drive my car this week due to bad weather, but spring should bring other opportunities for business travel in my RV-9A.

If you have been reading my web site, you probably know that I am assisting another builder with his RV-8. You can see those pictures and other builders I have visited on my web site also.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
N2PZ flying 171.2 hours so far
RV-9A #90622

Another air tractor driver

Add another airtractor driver to the list.Flew At301,At502,At802 spraying cotton(day&night ops)and wheat here in Australia for 18 years. We operated up to 9 turbine Airtractors in busy times and I am a firm believer in the company moto " nothing beats an Airtractor"(except an RV!!).I recently changed jobs and moved to the other side of the country and now fly an At802 on fire bombing ops.

Between spray jobs I built an RV6 that I started in 93 and took 10.5 years to complete!!.Its done 110hrs now and I still can't believe the speed and flying quilities it has, all on an 0320!.I often fly it after a days spraying just to let of steam.

Cheers and beers
Gray in West Aust.

Civil Servant

I?m a Civil Servant, but I really don?t feel like I?m part of the government?we?re more like a publicly funded research organization?.

I?m a Lead Flight Director for the Space Shuttle at NASA?s Johnson Space Center in Houston. For those who saw Apollo 13, that means I?m the guy in the crew cut and white vest. ?Failure is Not an Option? (although Gene never actually said those words at the time?) and all that. I?ve been flying the Shuttle since I was a Coop student during STS-1, and have worked probably 80 missions in some capacity (Flight Controller, Manager, Flight Director). I was selected as a Flight Director in 1993, and have flown 23 missions in the position, starting with the first Shuttle/Mir Rendezvous in 1995. We generally have about 8 to 10 active Flight Directors in the Office at any time, selecting about one new one per year, and we rotate missions. I was a young Flight Controller when we lost Challenger, and one of the most senior Flight Directors when Columbia went down (although that was one of my missions off). Each of the Flight Directors in the office have some unique background, and mine is real aviation, so I spent two months out in East Texas after Columbia went down, running our strategic air search operations. That meant coordinating everything from powered parachutes, through the CAP search planes, and up to U-2?s searching for debris.

I got to work on my first airplanes when I was 13 years old ? a couple of old J-3 Cubs owned by an FBO who decided to sponsor an Explorer Post, giving us teenagers a head start in aviation. I soloed at 16, was licensed at 17, and had quite a few hours in lots of different stuff before I graduated from High School. Glasses kept me from going into the military, so I studied Aeronautical Engineering while working 40 hours a week as a professional diver in Minnesota (that means diving under the ice several months of the year, and in Lake Superior?s near-freezing water much of the rest of the time). When I started with NASA as a Coop Student in my junior year of college they put me in the Operations group because of my diving and flying experience (I knew what is was like to actually put my own little pink body on the line?) ? it sure wasn?t my GPA! Hey?study for exams, or go flying?.Hmmm, let?s see?.

Every NASA Flight Director, by tradition, selects a call sign for themselves. This started out with Chris Kraft, Gene Kranz, and John Hodge being Red, White, and Blue Flights in the early days. All the good colors had been used up my time, so I selected ?Iron? as my call sign, because my family comes from the iron Range of Northern Minnesota.

I?ve been fortunate to get a lot of interesting flying in over my career, both for real and in some pretty neat simulators. But as I?ve said before here, nothing gives me the same personal satisfaction as flying the RV-8 I built with my own hands!

(I'm pleased to see all the police officers we have on this board - surprised we don't have more firefighters! I've been a volunteer fireman for 23 years...anyone else?)

Paul

I'm also in the aviation industry, but one of those slimey, untrustworthy contractor types ;) . Currently I'm on the latest (last?) manned fighter program and thoroughly enjoying myself. The first airplane will fly this year and is in ground test right now - so it's no longer a paper project. Things are getting exciting. 22 years ago, after college, I started out as an aerodynamicist working stability & control and flying qualities, but now am working systems & software integration and test as well as certification, all on the military "bang & whoosh" side of things - there is a kind of logical progression there, honestly.

I also have a background in real aviation, went solo in a glider at 16 and now have a couple of thousand hours in all kinds of flying machines. I've been hooked on RVs for longer than I care to admit, and still go flying just for the fun of it :D !

Pete

Finally Figured It Out

I've spent 43 years trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up...

In no particular order, here is a list of my past/present occupations...

Pizza Maker
Ambulance Dispatcher
Electronic Technician
EMT
Active Duty Air Force (B-52 -D and -H Models - Electronic Warfare Systems)
Police Officer
F-16 - Block 60 Lead EW systems Engineer
Karate Instructor
F-16 - Block 40; Field Support Engineer - From Avionics to hydraZine (i.e. A to Z)
Instrumentation Systems Design Engineer
F-22; RF Compatibility/EMI Engineer
JSF (F-35) Lead EW Systems Engineer
Design/Manufacturing Engineer for Small Electronics Business
CV-22 (Osprey) Flight Test; Senior Technical Consultant
Visual Basic Application Developer
Technical Writer

And Finally... RV-7 Builder. I like that one the best! I still haven't grown up but now I know what I want to do until that happens! Build Airplanes and help others do the same...

Airline puke

I'm the luckiest guy I know. Currently a Boeing 717 Captain for a 'large, Atlanta-based airline'. Been there 8 years and we've been profitable every quarter. No one knows what tomorrow will bring but so far it's been a great ride. Started flying at 15, have been guilty since. Did it for six years for Uncle Sam but otherwise mostly civilian / commercial. If I'm not at work, I'm flying my spam-can or bumming rides with friends. Or at the local flying field with model planes & heli's. Not to worry, still plenty of RV build time! With any luck I'll be RVing in '07...

Marty Esther
RV-7 Wings
N717ME (reserved)
Still poundin' rivets. Jeez, how many of these things are there???

After reading Ironflight's post above, I felt compelled to add my 2 cents worth. I had also previously observed a noteworthy lack of representation by the firefighter ranks. So... here I am! :D

I am a Battalion Chief for a very large Left Coast fire department. I have been in the business of handling life's crisis' for 25 years. Ironically, unlike many kids who grow up wanting to be a firefighter, I had wanted to be a pilot. But as you are dealt your cards in the poker game of life, you often end up with a hand much different that that which you had envisioned. (It has been a great job regardless)

Long story short... I have finally started to work on getting my pilots license, and am also exploring aircraft options and cost effectiveness. Van's has come up as a strong option. For now, I am enjoying the knowledge shared on this board.

Thanks all!

Police Officer at Miami International Airport. Surrounded by by Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed, McDonnell Douglas, Gulfstream, Dussault, but I'm building an RV!!!!

Add another machinist type to the ranks of RV builders.
I have 29 years with Hewlett Packard as a model maker machinist, and that does ease the pain of reading drawings and producing parts. I lurked for a long time as a wannabe airplane builder, and then saw the -8 the first year that it was at Oshkosh. I was smitten, and then the next thing that happened was an introduction to Randy Lervold who is the responsible party for luring me over to the dark side. The rest is history.........working on an 8 with 95% done, and 50% to go.

Randy Griffin
RV-8
N925RG
Vancouver, Wa.

Air Traffic Control Supervisor, Kansas City Air Route Traffic Control Center. Been pushing tin for 15 years. Was a grunt in the U.S. Marine Corps before that.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E 460 hours

Software Guy

I write software for Boeing. Currently working on the Electronic Flight Bag. Right now my free time is spent working on finishing a college degree that got sidelined due to the dot-com-craze. Once done, an RV-10 kit will fill that time nicely.

Guard Guy

I'm a full time Air Guard F-16 Maintenance officer. A&P, CFI/II, Honey-do list Executor, and help the boss manage 1 & 4 year old boys. 20 years in the military (10 enlisted, 10 officer) plan on staying another 10 or so. Just got back from Iraq (Again!!!) and am trying to get through the post deployment honey-do list so I can get back to my RV-8 empannage in the garage....gotta hurry and finish it up...wing kit on the way!!!

Mechanical Aerospace

Add another Engineer, Mechanical type. Currently working Tooling Design for an Aerospace Company.

I have been an aviation enthusiast since childhood and wanted to fly for Uncle Sam but my eyesight was 20/30 in one eye. After a year or so recovering from that I decided to jump out of airplanes for Uncle Sam. Four years active duty Army, most in the 82nd Airborne Division. Uncle Sam then helped pay for college and a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I stayed in the Guard and Reserve for another 10 years while in school and working for the big "B" near Seattle. Had fun working Tooling and Ground Support Equipment Design on the B2, F22, V22, 747, 767, 777 and Sea Launch.

Now in California with my lovely wife and loving flying our RV-9A. The 100 hour milestone on the airlplane was on the return trip from NC to CA between Christmas and New Years. These airplanes are great, 16 hrs eastbound, 21 hours westbound, average 6.7 gph.

Thanks to all the Police, Firefighter's and Military who help make this country a place where we can all build our own airplanes and fly nearly wherever and whenever we want.

Blue Skies

Jim Bray
RV-9A

Gene Splicer

Senior Director for Vaccine Development for a Biotech company in Bozeman, MT (yes, there is biotech in Montana). And it's a great place to fly. One kid in college now, two in college next year and I'm getting sucked dry :( Thank God for the home equity line of credit :) RV-7A is almost complete, hopefully in time for Oshkosh. 0360, Sensenich prop, Dynon EFIS and EIS, Garmin 296 and GTX327, Icom A200, TruTrak Pictorial Pilot and Altrak. Firewall forward 99% done and moving to the hangar very soon.
N557XW reserved

My wife and I have been landscapers for may years I also have do equipment repair in the winter months, We stay very busy I managed to put a few dollars away to get the kit parts in 1year then the reest all fell into place I was able to build my RV-7 in two winters with a little bit done in the summer months I have kept in on a tight budget mid time 0-320 1400 hours runs strong paid only $3500 for the engine it is IFR and has a two axis auto pilot tru-track less then $50k not painted 100 hours on it now will be painted by myself late april and may

a government paycheck pays the hangar rent

I've worked for the NTSB for about 25 years. I spent a couple of years designing simulators at Flight Safety and 13 years at Beech Aircraft. I received an aero degree from Wichita State in 1970. Time flies when you are having fun. Time is really flying with the -9A. Regards. John.

I'm unique, I think.

I am a Mortgage Guy. I own my own small mortgage company in Texas and all my loan officers are lazy bastards. I out perform all of them. Anyone moving to Texas, let me know.

He he.

David

frozen water guy

I change my occupation every few years. First 8 years fresh out of college designed and built a small concrete extrusion machine for pouring those little landscape curbs around the flower beds. Wasn't smart and didn't patent it. Within 5 years had too much competition from cheap out of Country bastards and it wasn't fun anymore. Second 5 years I built candy Vending machines and put them in locations. It's the greatest cash business you'll ever do as long as you can keep them in locations. About that time I bought a prototype seaplane called the Searey. Great planes and great guys and had lots of fun. It is risky owning the First anything, but it worked out. For the last 10 I've owned an Event company www.icemagic.biz. I got to convert a CNC machine into an automated Ice Carving Cutter. The last 5 of those years we incorporated LED lighting into the business and it's been fun. I'm building a 6 so I can run all over the country doing these big parties and at the present time have no plans to change occupations. I'm not bored yet.

Bill Whidden

Bill Whidden said:
For the last 10 I've owned an Event company www.icemagic.biz. I got to convert a CNC machine into an automated Ice Carving Cutter. The last 5 of those years we incorporated LED lighting into the business and it's been fun. Bill Whidden

Bill

Checked out the website, that looks really cool (intended). The dancing martini bar, now that would be great at the next party. :D

Looks like you've had an interesting life so far, good on you man.

Presently an academic administrator at a "large public research university". Degrees in mechanical engineering and business ... and I have this chronic illness that makes me wanna build stuff. :) Just got my private ticket in November after spending the last 30 yrs of discretionary money on skiing. No room for both in my checkbook. :eek: Now my discretionary $$ are in the garage covered with sticky blue plastic ... the spousal unit just shakes her head and shrugs. LOL.

Rupester
RV-9A empennage

trainguy

This has been my cockpit for the the last 35 years. Notice the cool EFIS screens. We've actually had these for about 10 years....made by Rockwell, so its been real easy to adjust to the Dynon. :)
rimg0001jpg627459cf.jpg
My gross weight is usually a little higher than most RV's....normally about 16,000 tons for a coal train, which is what we normally haul out of the Powder River Basin here in Wyo. Also, the amperage is a little higher than most RVers are used to seeing. When pulling up hills wiith a loaded train we normally see 1700 amps going to the drivers! However, my top speed is somewhat lacking. Usually average 40 m.p.h.

wyoflyer said:
When pulling up hills wiith a loaded train we normally see 1700 amps going to the drivers! However, my top speed is somewhat lacking. Usually average 40 m.p.h.
Dave Mader
RV6 flying

Have you tried installing the pressure recovery wheel trucks?

I work as a Toolmaker in a machine shop that makes............Aircraft parts! About time I started making them for myself, lol. Our shop makes engine parts for P&W engines. I make the production fixtures that hold the parts while they are being machined. Also learning to program CNC machines as well.

Back