What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fantastic Airport Cafe at 51J Lake City, SC

tinman

Well Known Member
We have discovered a new gem of a cafe at Lake City. They have an extensive menu which goes way beyond the normal burger and fries. The cafe is on the field 100' away from the ramp, so you can enjoy your meal while keeping an eye on you plane. They take good care of pilots, too. (They gave my wife a rose on our way out to the airplane, thus winning two loyal customers for life...) Don't be surprised if the cafe staff go out to look at your plane because they are very interested in experimentals. Be sure to sign the bathroom walls... (Don't ask...)

PS: If shrimp and grits are the daily special, order them...they are the best that I have tasted to date.

Let's support this business because we need to keep places like this around so that we have great destinations for our outings...

How's the runway?

I grew up near there and the runway used to be in such very poor condition that the local pilots avoided it. If the food is good and the runway won't swallow grumman wheels I will start flying into there to visit my family.

The runway is reported to be in poor condition. As far as I could tell, all of the cracks were filled with tar and there was no issue at all getting my -8 in and out. The tar did make the landing "noisy" as the tailwheel rolled over each expansion joint...

haha, for some reason I read this as Salt Lake City and thought there is no way in **** I'm eating shrimp and grits from Utah. But then I learned to read more better.

Sounds like a long lunch trip for the North Georgia crew is in our future.

Let me know when the Georgia crew is on the way and I will try to meet you there. I would love to meet some new RV faces...

Back