What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What am I missing? Wings ready to start.

rkochcyxh

I finished my tail feathers last week and I'm ready, maybe, to start work on my QB wings. I think I have to consider, landing lights, were are they going, electrical for the lights, pitot heat/ tube, and what else am I missing?
I'm planning on an IFR plane with an auto pilot. Do I have to choice the auto pilot yet? Thanks
Russel Koch

RV9A Medicine Hat, Alberta
Canada

I finished my tail feathers last week and I'm ready, maybe, to start work on my QB wings. I think I have to consider, landing lights, were are they going, electrical for the lights, pitot heat/ tube, and what else am I missing?
I'm planning on an IFR plane with an auto pilot. Do I have to choice the auto pilot yet?

Not knowing which model you're building I'll just make some generic comments.

You probably want to install some conduit to make pulling wire a little easier, especially if you do end up forgeting something and need to install later.

You don't need the entire autopilot kit. You just need the roll servo and the wiring harness for it. Steinair has harnesses for the TruTrack line. You can get servos from multiple retailers.

The same goes for AOA. You can get an AFA AOA wing kit for about $400 from Steinair and several other vendors. But then, I don't know if you want an AOA installed.

The Gretz Aero heated Pitot should be available again in a few weeks. I do have to disclose that I have interest in this. More news will be made public in a couple weeks.

What about nav lights and strobes?

It seems like you've thought of everything else.

Back