What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost on 430

rkochcyxh

I'm looking at putting a Garmin430 GNS in my 9A. The only price I can find for a new one is an install price.
1. Can I install it?
2. Is it that difficult to install?
3. What should a new one cost WAAS and not WAAS?
4. Is it worth while buying a used one?
I don't need one until next year but the Canadian dollar is doing ok and right now I have the money to buy one. Thanks for your help
Russel Koch
Medicine Hat, Alberta

Try www.starkavionics.com. They work with the experimental community.

I'm just redoing my panel, and found the price difference between a used/refurb 430 and a new 430W to be less than $2000. No brainer in my estimation.

I bought mine at Gulf Coast Avionics. I thought they had good prices on new units. They also have the experimental price and the certified price. I also had them build the wiring harness for all the interconnects to the other radio, audio panel and transponder. This is one time I was willing to pay for my laziness since I wanted to make sure it was perfect when I hooked up my panel. I bought a new 430 and the cost was less than 7G (USA$) since they were out at the time for a reconditioned one.

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/

GARMIN Reconditioned GNS-430
Description: Color IFR GPS NAV/COM w/ Glideslope & Moving Map
Call For Availability $5,995.00

GARMIN GNS-430W
Description: Color IFR WAAS GPS NAV/COM w/ Glideslope & Moving Map
Price includes basic harness for homebuilt/experimental aircraft. Certified/production aircraft price is from $9995 installed.
$7,995.00

If you are looking for the best deal it can usually be found on eBay. I bought a new 430 WAAS from Phoenix Aviation on eBay for $6900.00 US. Of course A Non WAAS unit can be had for less money. It took me about 6 months of looking to find the one that I was comfortable bidding on. So if you have the time to lurk, try eBay.

Buying used on eBay is another way to get a real good price but as always "buyer be aware". You never really know where the used units come from . They can simply be removed for upgrade or could have been pulled from a dinged aircraft. Just make sure it has the tray and connectors as well as the antenna. Those costs will take your great deal down to just a good deal.

If you want to go new, other than Stark you can also check Pacific Coast Avionics. They sometimes will have specials that knock off a few dollars. Vans sell them but I don't remember their prices.

Happy Hunting

Jim Kinsey
7A Finish kit has arrived

Van's Price

Van's price is $8300 and the price includes a pre-fabricated wiring harness. Don't know whether other vendor prices include the harness.

Good hunting,
Mike

If you are looking for the best deal it can usually be found on eBay. I bought a new 430 WAAS from Phoenix Aviation on eBay for $6900.00 US. Of course A Non WAAS unit can be had for less money. It took me about 6 months of looking to find the one that I was comfortable bidding on. So if you have the time to lurk, try eBay.

Buying used on eBay is another way to get a real good price but as always "buyer be aware". You never really know where the used units come from . They can simply be removed for upgrade or could have been pulled from a dinged aircraft. Just make sure it has the tray and connectors as well as the antenna. Those costs will take your great deal down to just a good deal.

If you want to go new, other than Stark you can also check Pacific Coast Avionics. They sometimes will have specials that knock off a few dollars. Vans sell them but I don't remember their prices.

Happy Hunting

Jim Kinsey
7A Finish kit has arrived

Are you 100% exactly sure of what you got? Several reasons...if you buy something at less than dealer cost, AND it's from a Garmin dealer advertising it as "new", then something ain't quite right. Garmin dealers aren't allowed to sell new equipment on Ebay - period. So, if you find a purported "new" unit from a certified Garmin dealer, then something is amiss.....don't know what, but something!

Cheers,
Stein.

FYI...we just received a "GOLD award" from Garmin for 2007....puts us in the top 5% of worldwide dealers for sales, service and support! We're not the cheapest, but we're cheaper than Van's! I'll say it again, all things being equal price and value aren't the same thing. If you're only singular factor for choosing a dealer is rock bottom price, then we probably aren't the one for you....

I bought my 430W and SL30 and indicators new from Stark. If you buy new, you're going to have to buy from a Garmin dealer that works with experimentals, such as Stark or Stein (or I guess Vans), and the Garmin dealer license requires that they build the harness for you.

Stark had great prices, and they got me exactly what I wanted. My only complaint was that I ordered my stuff at the beginning of the year, right around the time of the price increase, and got caught in their big rush period. They told me it would take 4 weeks to get my stuff done, but it ended up taking close to 10 weeks.

Stein,

I guess I should have been more specific in what I meant when saying it was new. The 430W I bought is technically new but WAS installed in an aircraft that had its unit sent for WAAS upgrade. The 430W was installed to have the plane in flyable condition for the owner. The aircraft did not fly before it's upgraded 430W returned from Garmin. My 430W was then removed by Phoenix and shelved. What the guy from Phoenix told me when I called was that even though the 430W was never used, it had been installed in an aircraft and they would not sell it as new unit. They then put it on eBay and I bought it for the $6900.00 which I feel is a fantastic price for a 430W.

Hope this clears up any misstatement on my part, it technically is new but is also a used unit because it was installed.

Jim Kinsey
7A Finish kit

Hummmmm

I purchased from Stark.....GREAT guys........Did what they said...On time...Great Price...:D

Stein,

I guess I should have been more specific in what I meant when saying it was new. The 430W I bought is technically new but WAS installed in an aircraft that had its unit sent for WAAS upgrade. The 430W was installed to have the plane in flyable condition for the owner. The aircraft did not fly before it's upgraded 430W returned from Garmin. My 430W was then removed by Phoenix and shelved. What the guy from Phoenix told me when I called was that even though the 430W was never used, it had been installed in an aircraft and they would not sell it as new unit. They then put it on eBay and I bought it for the $6900.00 which I feel is a fantastic price for a 430W.

Hope this clears up any misstatement on my part, it technically is new but is also a used unit because it was installed.

Jim Kinsey
7A Finish kit

Ahh...now I see. Quite correct you are and a good purchase you made! We too often have similar "deals", but typically they get sold here on VAF or direct to customes on the phone who ask about things like these. Enough people call and ask about units we've taken on trade, upgrades or overhauls, and typically we don't have to goof with Ebay, although rarely we do.

You are right, once it's technically been wired, tested and installed it's no longer new, and as such can't be sold as new...even if it's only a week old. Kind of like buying a new car and driving it off the lot!

Anyway, you made a good purchase there, because with the Ebay fees tacked on and if they took a credit card or paypal they lost money on it, so good for you, not so great for them. We can't sell as cheaply as some other places but we're usually quite competitive. John and Tony at Stark are good guys, I know them well. I'd recommend them myself over most of the other aformentioned shops from a builder/personal perspective. Many years ago when I was building my first RV and before we were Garmin dealers I too purchased stuff from Stark. Van's doesn't even have a Garmin dealership, they're just a middleman....most of their people won't know much about the actual units either.

Anyway, if you find a 430W for that price nearly new, get it!

Cheers,
Stein

Back