What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy fiberglass work

Mike K

Good afternoon-

Getting ready to start the fiberglass work around my canopy. Anyone have an idea how much resin I will need. I'm using the West system and can't buy local so want to have enough on-hand when I get started.

Mike

Good afternoon-

Getting ready to start the fiberglass work around my canopy. Anyone have an idea how much resin I will need. I'm using the West system and can't buy local so want to have enough on-hand when I get started.

Mike

This is what I purchased at my local West Marine store (Yes I know there isn't one close to you but you can order online to have shipped):

- Part 1 105-A resin (32 oz), Part II 206-A hardener (7 oz)
- quick pump kit
- 502 colored epoxy pigment

It really doesn't take much to do the canopy. This will be more than enough plus some for the whole plane.

Last edited:
I have seen several folks do this, but is there an advantage to coloring the epoxy? It will eventually be covered with paint.

Ok, got it. How much do you use to get it dark enough? I have used a lot of Fiberglas on boats, but never tried dying it. Thanks.

It does not take much, I bought the smallest bottle I could and did not use much of it. I just mixed it in with the resin and kept adding til I got the desired look.

Ok, got it. How much do you use to get it dark enough? I have used a lot of Fiberglas on boats, but never tried dying it. Thanks.

Depends on what color you use and how much resin you're using in the batch. This is something you'll need to adjust to your preference. Not to sound snarky but black is black.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will just experiment to get it "black!" :rolleyes:

Check on EBay - I got a small bottle 4 oz of boat fiberglass pigment for $14.50. You only use drops, not ounces to get a solid black color to the epoxy. Make sure you get the pigment for epoxy not polyester, not sure the difference but they are different products. The canopy fiberglass looks daunting but is not very difficult to do. Just follow the videos on Vans web site.

Back