- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 AM

Default nose wheel pant mounting

I'm at that stage.

Looking at the design, it seems like the brackets on the rear half of the pant are meant to slide on and off the fork to remove it. If that's the case, it seems safe to treat the attachment of the brackets to the pant as permanent - meaning one need not worry about the flox engulfing the bracket ears (vs the main pants, where this was a specified concern.)

Is that correct? If so it will give me much-needed liberty to reach in there and slop it on - since I see no way to apply it to the pieces first and then assemble them without scraping and smearing flox everywhere but where I want it.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

I went down that route as far as glassing over the attachment screws on the basis the rear section could be removed by sliding the brackets aft off the axle. What a PITA - I really regret it.
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
I went down that route as far as glassing over the attachment screws on the basis the rear section could be removed by sliding the brackets aft off the axle. What a PITA - I really regret it.
Can you elaborate on what you don't like about this arrangement?

Larry
Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Yeah - not the answer I was expecting. Inquiring minds really want to know on this one. Do the brackets not line up well? Cuz it's a LOT of spreading and tugging to get the rear pant half on over the brackets even before the flox shims are molded in...

Old 01-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Bill,
You are correct the bracket attachment to the pants are permanent. In my opinion the design is easier to get on and off than my 7A completed in 2005.

They slide on/off with ease. Just make sure to loosen the axel bolts enough. I use a ratcheting 9/16 on the nut and normal 9/16 on the bolt head. It takes a little while because of the tight space. After it's loose slightly tap on the nut side of the bolt to create the space between the bracket and the washer on the bolt head side.

Gary
Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Gary, my washer "stack-up" per the plans makes for plenty loose slide-in fit of the brackets, at least before they are bonded to the wheel pant. I don't want to be messing with the axle bolt if I can help it - the MATCO axle is safetied in with a set screw and collar, and I'm not sure (without studying it more) that I want to mess with that torque every time I take the pant off.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM

I ditched the Matco axle for the Grove. That being said I love the Matco mains, calipers and rotors vs the Cleavlands. My washer stack up has worked well for 600 hours.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Can you elaborate on what you don't like about this arrangement?

Larry
I don't have my plans to hand but seeing the other comments it appears that perhaps I did what I was supposed to after all - been a while...... However, I don't like having to remove the trapezoid mounts to get the pant off.

I have seen other set-ups which have left the screws accessible and the general feeling is that it is much easier to remove the rear pant. I guess it's like the mains where you just have to make sure you don't lock the pant in place with the flox flowing round the mount.
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM

Bill,
I would not do what you are thinking about. Yes, they are kind of permanently mounted to the rear pant and slide on and off, BUT, I've seen the mounts crack and had to be replaced. I think it was also discussed on this forum a few years ago. I reinforced my mounts from the outset. I also made sure that when in position there is no play at the rear over the washer. My thinking was that vibration might add to failure. So far so good!
Johan
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM

So far I've proceeded exactly as per plans, and tonight I'll pull the assembly and see if I was too lean anywhere with the flox, adding a second layup if/where necessary. I plan to leave the screw heads exposed and the brackets not engulfed by flox so as to keep all options open.

Here's where we're at as of last evening

And here's a still life showing the wax bowl ring I use for thread lubricant and the buckets of water I hang on the engine mount when the fuselage is not resting on a workbench, to keep the tail from squatting. Little by little the elephant is being et'.

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 01-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.