Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Mine also cracked right where the bracket sits on the axle bolt, not up front where yours cracked where your tow bar connects. After I seen the crack on mine at about 500 hrs, I riveted a piece of .125 angle across that area and all is still fine. Van's really should use .125 instead of .063 for this bracket. For those flying off of grass this is likely to happen much sooner.

Thanks

Ray
N519RV (40250)
Hobbs = 965 Hrs.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Broken also, trouble with mains spacers

After about 250 hours last summer my nosewheel fairing bracket also failed causing the fiberglass to get sucked under and shred on landing at KMMV. The bracket failed on one side just up from the bend where the attachment nut is. So had to fly over to Vans to pickup and prepare a whole new wheel fairing and get it painted...

Last week I noticed that my main wheelpants were looser than they should be. On inspection I found that the hex threaded spacer was hanging by the bolt from the outside and the other spacer was completely gone. In both cases the bolt that goes inside the axle cap nut into the spacer was sheared at the cotter pin hole - the drilled cotter pin hole is too large to retain integrity relative to the bolt size. I manufactured a new spacer and replaced the pinned bolts a longer standard bolt (no cotter pin hole) with loctite on the fine threads to avoid this failure in the future.
Doug Nebert - RV-10, #40546 (SB), started 2/2006, low compression O540 with older CS prop, 375+ hours on Hobbs. Flying since August 2010. Based KONP, Newport, OR
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM

I made brackets out of 4130 steel... No more cracking/breaking.. These were on the early 'narrow' wheel pants I had on my 6A... (I modified the pant to accept this slide on/off feature bracket design.) However, I'm now fitting the 'fat' nose wheel pant with the Van's alum. brackets. I suspect I will end up making these out of 4130 again if the alum. brackets don't hold up..
Champ RV6 at LOE #3
Old 05-28-2016, 08:20 AM

It's cracking right at the edge of the towbar spacer block. You can see the rectangular imprint in one picture. Looks like a stress spot is cracking right at the edge of the block. Maybe chamfer the edges a little and make sure the block edge isn't acting as a fulcrum.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 AM

Thumbs up

So I had same # at 100 hrs.I flatten the original aluminium bracket to make a SSteel copy. Fold the SSteel back to shape using the other side as a guide for the angles. Should as good as gold / SSteel.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:39 AM

I have seen a number of these crack over the years, but usually by the axle washer stack. I consider it one of those wear and tear items. I check all three wheel pants before every flight.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 AM

This is a common problem and I riveted a chunk of .125 angle across that area and have had no issues since.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Default Came here from another thread...

Anyone have pictures of said reinforcing .125" angle installation?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug