What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visiting Centennial (KAPA), suggestions?

Jim Percy

Well Known Member
I'm planning to fly into Centennial next Friday to visit my sister. Will probably stay 2 nights. Does anyone have recommendations on where to tie down, or maybe hangar, depending on weather?

Thanks!

to me it's kind of a toss up, you're going to get hit either way with jet center or tac air. There's a guy in the midwest forum renting a hanger space I want to say at BJC, if you can go in there maybe you can rent it for a few nights? Just a thought.

Been into APA before? they have some "odd" procedures for departure, nothing too confusing.

Jim,
Have you called TAC Air or Denver Jet Center? There have been numerous hailstorms around here lately. If the weather looks the least bit unfavaorable for your visit, I'd see about a hangar. There area a few t-hangars for "sale or rent" on the field.
Carl
Flying a C177b
about to begin my search for a RV-7 project

The guy across from me at KAPA has a hangar for rent that you might be able to get for a few nights. Call him at 303-971-0325. Also, you can save $1.00/gal at the self-serve pump on the north end of the ramp. Ask ground to direct you. KAPA can get very busy sometimes, but I don't think they have any strange procedures. Maybe I have just gotten used to them.

Jim Berry
RV10

Thanks for the responses! From what I've heard here and elsewhere, seems like TAC Air might work best, though I intend to call Jim's neighbor as well.

Been into APA before? they have some "odd" procedures for departure, nothing too confusing.
Care to elaborate?

KAPA

Different but easy. Once you finish your run-up you inform ground that you are ready. "Centennial ground, RV 1VA in ready in sequence, full-length runway 10". Ground replies and has you monitor tower frequency. Once you switch to tower you say nothing as the tower will call your number when their ready for you.

You might think about KFTG instead of KAPA. Cheaper fuel and if you need hangar space overnight their cheaper too. Rental cars are available also. Hangars are important this time of year due to the afternoon hail storms that like to pop up.

Hangars are important this time of year due to the afternoon hail storms that like to pop up.

And it has been hailing here on a regular basis lately. The hail in Colorado is sort of unbelievable. I have seen piles of hail 3 feet deep where it collected in low spots on the road, and it didn't melt for an entire day. One day last year it hailed at midnight, I drove by the piles at 8AM, and then again at 6PM, in August. Sometimes they have to get the snow plows out.

Back