What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 Updates

pilotkms

Well Known Member
Mine hasn?t but updated in years. I?d like to get all current and usable.
Current levels :
Main S/W 4.1
GPS/WASS 5.0
Comm S/W 2.11
NAV S/W 6.02
NAV Data Bases are 2010 & 2011

Suggestions on what I should do? Can I do it or do I need to take it to a shop?

Mine hasn’t but updated in years. I’d like to get all current and usable.
Current levels :
Main S/W 4.1
GPS/WASS 5.0
Comm S/W 2.11
NAV S/W 6.02

You can download and install the software updates for an experimental direct from garmin’s site. I don’t have the url handy, but search on vaf should yield it.

You get Nav data from flygarmin.com. You have a choice of purchasing an annual subscription or a one time download.

Last edited:
Mine hasn?t but updated in years. I?d like to get all current and usable.
Current levels :
Main S/W 4.1
GPS/WASS 5.0
Comm S/W 2.11
NAV S/W 6.02

Hello Keith,

Here is a link that explains how to get the GTN V6.41 software and install it yourself.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=153964

Thanks,
Steve

Bob & Steve. Thanx for the info.
I just completed a TOTAL upgrade of my 650 using the link provided above. As another mentioned, it wasnt as intuitive as it could have been. It took me 3 to 4 hours to get to where I had 2 SD cards ready for uploading. The actual uploading in the plane was half an hour. Totally current - until July 19th.

Just a point of interest, I had emailed Garmin support at the same time I posted my initial question here on VAF, asking if I could do the upgrade or did I need to take it in. Their response was I needed to take it to an authorized service center. So I called one nearby. They were to call back. When no response I decided to dig into the guidance provided above. And it worked.

Bob & Steve. Thanx for the info.
I just completed a TOTAL upgrade of my 650 using the link provided above. As another mentioned, it wasnt as intuitive as it could have been. It took me 3 to 4 hours to get to where I had 2 SD cards ready for uploading. The actual uploading in the plane was half an hour. Totally current - until July 19th.

Just a point of interest, I had emailed Garmin support at the same time I posted my initial question here on VAF, asking if I could do the upgrade or did I need to take it in. Their response was I needed to take it to an authorized service center. So I called one nearby. They were to call back. When no response I decided to dig into the guidance provided above. And it worked.

Hello Keith,

Good job! Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Not sure who you emailed, but please make sure to email [email protected] in the future because the other aviation product support folks are used to working with customers with certified aircraft who must visit a dealer for this GTN software upgrade.

Thanks,
Steve

Back