What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Training at OSH 2018

What G3X Touch training do you want most at OSH?

• CAN Bus planning/installation

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • EIS/Airframe Configuration

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • GTN/GNS Integration

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Calibration (Fuel/AHRS/AOA/etc)

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Troubleshooting tips- Data bus, error logs, etc.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Databases and software

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • System architecture

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other: See my post!

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KatieB

Well Known Member
Hi VAF friends, long time no see!

In December I began working for Garmin in Olathe, KS on the Aviation Product Support team. I develop and deliver avionics maintenance and installation training for avionics technicians. So far it's been a great career move and I've learned a ton about avionics systems... even the certified variety!

My team and I will be giving a series of 45-minute training sessions for G3X installation and flying each day at Oshkosh this year, and it's time to start digging in and developing content. So I figured, who better to ask about what to talk about than you all??

If you're planning a G3X installation, what would you like to know? What can we do to demystify the system for you? If you've already gone through an installation, what did you have trouble with? What things could be clearer in the manuals? I've posted a poll here, but if there's something else you'd like to know, please reply in the thread and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks-- & see you there!
Katie

Hi VAF friends, long time no see!

Katie

Good that you have not really fallen off the edge of the earth;)

For those who are not going to attend OSH, will there be recordings available online at a later date?

Last edited:
Nice idea.

Our system is in and working very well. we did it all with just the manual and a little thinking. The three things I would think that most of the people looking to, or installing would be. Can-bus, Antenna placement and distance from one another and Magnetometer location and issues. Hopefully on the wing end rib with an independent ground out to all the items mounted on that wing tip.
Just a few points of interest. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
Interconnecting program for garmin equipment

Garmin does a great just show the different equipment and what needs to be wired we?re. The issues is how equipment is wire together so that interfaces work. Example that comes to minds the G5 with a gtn650. You can only use mapfx fomatng on one rs-232. You have to spit the out to two both the g3x touch and the G5.

A Garmin program that you could input the Garmin equipment and it will give you the all the wiring and inconncetion and configuration would be of great help.

I second what Mike suggested,,,,videos on-line would be fantastic!

"System Architecture" and Why

When I first installed the G3X Touch and related components there seemed to be little rhyme or reason for what was used CAN be what used RS-232 (not to mention what needed both).

I know some things have changed but it still remains a mystery, especially when the rest of the Garmin family of products start to connect in.

A typical example is G3X Touch, AHRS, Magnetometer, transponder, WAAS GPS, ARINC, COMM, backups, yada yada yada.

BONUS: I hope the 45 minutes get recorded and made available online!

I have dual touch, GTN 650, G5, and Garmin pilot. I’m in the learning stage. Still developing my flow for IFR. A recommended method of utilizing all the systems in the cockpit would be nice. On a recent trip, my clearance was amended four times while enroute. With multiple waypoint changes. Oh which system to use to make the amendments, what are the quick and easy ways for in flight operations.

Nearly past this point, but during my avionics install here's what I struggled with:

-CAN bus architecture
-acceptable signal wire splicing techniques (CAN bus related)
-where/how to mount all the LRUs
-antenna placement and restraints (length, compatibility/incompatibility, etc.)

Training on how to use everything

I know it can't be done in 45 min, but training how to use everything would be great. That may get me to AV this year if it were offered. I don't really care for air shows but like the vendors and learning from them.

I know it can't be done in 45 min, but training how to use everything would be great. That may get me to AV this year if it were offered. I don't really care for air shows but like the vendors and learning from them.

+1 for in-use training. Since Stein built and wired my panel, I don't need training on how-to wire a panel. Training on the operation of the G3X, G5, GTN series, etc. would be quite valuable. I've been learning slowly during Phase 1, but it's difficult to spend too much time on the panel when you are accomplishing test cards. The Garmin videos that are on-line are a bit simplistic.

+1 for training. Would like to see some explanation of how to use new features after a software update. Maybe an updated Pilot Guide with each software release. Love the G3X and GTN 650!

Hi Katie,
I'll stop by and see you at Oshkosh. Good luck with the new job.

Gary

Hi Katie,

Please make the presentations comprehensive and in depth. A lot of seminars at Oshkosh are only an hour in length so only the surface material is covered. The list of topics you asked about would be wonderful. Personally interested in the troubleshooting/calibration modules.

I love coming to Oshkosh for the courses ... they even throw in an free airshow daily to make the journey worthwhile!

Cheers Jim

Good that you have not really fallen off the edge of the earth;)

For those who are not going to attend OSH, will there be recordings available online at a later date?

Hi Mike! LOL, yeah I'm still on Earth. Some days I do feel like I fell off though. :eek:

Last year some of the presentations made it onto Garmin's YouTube channel. I'll check and see how much we are planning to record this year. We are working on building the video library and making them more accessible.

Thanks!

Thanks all for the great comments! Keep them coming. I'll revisit this thread often in the coming weeks for ideas.

We will also have pilot training sessions at OSH, for those of you who want more in-depth training on using your stuff. And you can always find one of us in the main booth for some one-on-one at the sales kiosks for specific questions.

Congratulations Katie. Best of luck.
Does Garmin ever offer free training at their home locations?

Thanks!

We don't offer free training in Olathe, but we do offer 2-day paid pilot courses. Oshkosh is definitely the place to go for free training! (well... as "free" as anything can be at OSH! :eek:)

+1 on training. I invested in an all Garmin panel for my RV-8 built by Aerotronics; basically a G3X with G5 backup; GTR200; GTX45; etc. Getting some glass panel training in a Cessna 172G1000 and Redbird Simulator, but want to get more familiar with the ins & outs of the G3X touch, G5 and the operation, integration and customization of my setup. I'll be at OSH, and probably attend a number of your training sessions. Is the two day course you mentioned on building a G3X panel, or operating one? I had a friend who attended the assembly course, and learned a lot from it... but what I need is hands-on practice with the working system.

+1 For training on how to use

The online videos are too simplistic for such advanced avionics. Example: How to integrate Garmin Pilot app with the G3X....

Katie,

I've designed my RV-10 panel, purchased all the G3X LRUs that I could fit plus more, have the panel cut and will be putting it all together over the next few months. It should be a great IFR panel when finished that will likely take me years to fully master.

I could also use some recommendations as to best mounting locations and methods for all of the remote LRUs in the system.

During planning, the areas that I struggled to find good information on when planning my G3X install in the RV-10 was antenna placements and spacings, mounting locations for the magnetometer (GMU-11)and now with the new GMU-11 how can I test it for magnetic interference once I have it installed?

I gained a lot of info on wiring the G3X system in the AEA class last year, so don't really need that. But information that helps me with set-up and calibration of all the inputs would really help.

Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to the G3X crew for providing excellent support through Air Venture, G3Xpert on VAF, and phone support.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh

How to get rid of Red X's

I have been flying with my Garmin G3X system for a few years and it has worked great. I installed autopilot servos this past winter and again all has worked well, right up to the weekend before SnF. I flew to a buddies field with everything working great. When I flew home the autopilot servos kicked off several times then I started getting Red X's on my PDF. I was planning to fly to SnF and the weather looked like it was going to be good. I have a backup Dynon D10a and a backup Garmin Aera 510 GPS. I started troubleshooting the day or two before launching to SnF. I disconnected every plug and re-seated them, nothing helped. My buddy and I flew to SnF with the G3X flashing Red X's on both the PDF and MFD all the way there and back. I talked to the G3Xperts while there and after I got back. They said everything was pointing to a bad canbus signal, I wasn't sold on that. I was away with work for a month and could not do anything till I got back. When I got back I had figured out my plan to tackle this. The first thing I did was replace the canbus that tied the ADAHRS and two screens together and terminate there. I disconnected my GPS20A and my autopilot servos. Test flight showed all good no problem with that setup. Next step removed the termination jumper and tie the GPS20A and autopilot servos into the system. Test flight showed everything working as it should. The conclusion one of the solder sleeve connections on that canbus that I replaced had gone bad. This was intermittent and made it difficult to find, on the ground it worked fine even when I wiggled the wires. I never did find the exact bad connection but luckly I was able to replace the section that had the bad connection. If your system has been working fine and then just starts acting up and flashing Red X's then it is most likely a bad connection somewhere on your canbus. I hope this helps someone that has this happen to them in the future.

I want to thank the Garmin G3Xperts they helped as much as they could and answered me back very quickly when I emailed them directly.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just wanted to post an update here to thank all of you for your input on this. I'm working on content now and you've been a big help to help me focus on what's important!

We are also planning some G3X pilot forums in addition to the installation forums.

I'll post more information with specific details as we get closer to the show. See you there!

Published AirVenture Garmin Forums Schedule

EAA has our forum schedule out on the app and website now. Here's what we're planning to do:

G3X Touch Academy: How to install G3X Touch

This two-hour course will review builders? most frequently asked questions in these six modules: 1) Wiring, Termination & Tools, 2) CAN Bus Fundamentals, 3) Software loading and configuration, 4) Autopilot configuration, 5) System Architecture , and 6) GTN Interface. Modules 1 & 2 will be taught on Monday and Thursday. Modules 3 & 4 will be taught on Tuesday and Friday. Modules 5 & 6 will be taught on Wednesday and Saturday. Each participant is eligible to receive a rebate for Garmin avionics and portables.

I hope to see you there!

Hi Katie,

This all sounds great. I'm really interested. Do I need to sign up in advance, or just show up? Would really like to see all the different CAN bus terminations in person. It would also be great if the schematic/wiring diagram symbol was displayed next to each. Learning the drawings, then making the piece has been a tremendous challenge for me. Zero experience.

Thanks!

Katie

I feel that there are two groups out there that will gladly make the time to listen to a Garmin G3Xpert. We are either in A or B but still need and desire guidance. Naturally it can sub divide it into more categories, but to keep it simple I made the turning point at completed mechanical installation.

At the present time I am in Group A and would like to learn more about right way to plan the system and properly installing it avoiding pitfalls that would waste time and possibly compromise safety in the future operation of the system.

Group A
Everyone in proper planning, purchase and up to the completed mechanical installation point.

Group B
The builders that persevered the installation process and are now on to setup, troubleshooting and operations in flight.

As a Fun BONUS maybe Garmin should do a G5 give-a-way raffle. Every student of yours that sits through your class gets to enter...only one entry per person.

Ken

I have the G3X panel items accumulated and the bulk of the harnesses and wiring fabricated and partially installed at this point. What I am curious about is the systems' setup. I have not investigated this task at all so far and assume there are guides available to do this. Could this be something that could be considered for a discussion?

Katie,

Turns out I won't be able to attend Air Venture this year. Are there any plans to capture your G3X Touch Academy presentations and make them available on-line following this year's Air Venture? If so, where would I find them?

Thanks

Hi Katie,

This all sounds great. I'm really interested. Do I need to sign up in advance, or just show up? Would really like to see all the different CAN bus terminations in person. It would also be great if the schematic/wiring diagram symbol was displayed next to each. Learning the drawings, then making the piece has been a tremendous challenge for me. Zero experience.

Thanks!

Hi Sean,

Just show up, no registration required. We'll cover all that stuff in the CAN bus presentation with photos!

Jeff and Ken,

I think we'll cover all those points if you can come all 3 days (M-T-W or Th-F-S). It is a lot of material to cover in six 45-minute sessions, but it will give you an idea of what to do and where to go for more information.

We are not planning to videotape the forums because it's a logistical pain at the show, however, if there is enough interest, we could do a webcast with the G3X material after the show.

I would appreciate a webcast of the OSH material. Guess it would be a series of 6 webcasts?

Thanks

Yes, it would have to be a series of webcasts. I'm not sure if it will be 6 different webcasts-- maybe three 2-hour sessions. I'll let you know when I know more!

Webcasts (or youtube videos) would be awesome. While Garmin offering these classes at Oshkosh is great, I'd rather spend my time at Oshkosh walking, talking, and looking at stuff, then spend evenings at home watching training classes.

I have a lot more free time in the evenings than I have time at Oshkosh.

Back