What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 480--White Screen at Start Up

strahler13

Well Known Member
Anybody know the cause of a white screen on my Garmin 480? Happened last night while flying and now is white at start up.
Thx,
Mark

480 white screen

I haven't heard of "white screen" failures on 480's, but if you're not already, you might post to the 480 users group on Yahoo ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gns480-users/ ) to see if others have. Many 480 issues trace back to the unit not fully seating in the connectors at the back of the rack.

If you haven't done it yet pull the 480 and re-seat it a few time. The 480 is known to produce a bunch of different problems due to failure of the 480 to make good contact with the tray contacts. I ended up filing some of the front of the tray off to allow the 480 to seat deeper. Of course you want to be careful and not get the metal filings in anything.
Danny

If you haven't done it yet pull the 480 and re-seat it a few time. The 480 is known to produce a bunch of different problems due to failure of the 480 to make good contact with the tray contacts. I ended up filing some of the front of the tray off to allow the 480 to seat deeper. Of course you want to be careful and not get the metal filings in anything.
Danny

Yes, we pulled it out and installed it in friend's plane. Same result. Doesn't look good.

Thx,
Mark

Getting ready to send off for possible repair. Last chance for anyone to comment. Need GNS480Expert monitoring...

Back