What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Vent

rvanstory

Well Known Member
In section 29 working on vent doors. I'm on step for final drill and counter sinking for rivets. Instructions say to counter sink outer skin. The rest of the skin is dimpled. And the vent parts are all under .040, so are thin enough to be dimpled too. Anytime I counter-sink in metal this thin deep enough to flush rivet head, I tend to get oversized holes.

Question, can I dimple these parts instead of using machine counter sink? If not, since parts are layered, will it prevent getting oversized hole if I do machine counter sink?

D0w4rhs6pyCy453EK9K7-LeAnXBxysSnprN-YfGGtRERItWZHff2XF5ebG3fVe_3tJdADp6b-qce1vPpZxDQwKJIveBwne3I6upd1h7yBPVXOSZDvF1LXhgnALVRDOxWKdvFTMkOCop3zHUanKdhn54OM4DvNkrhDri5lLQZsjf0cOCLlKI4tQKd-LcWi94si84BHvVCXczu3aN0nVhtQfI6e_ZvldLO8Q29uw9IYTIEBa3gkvzliVzTX_HB2f9r3qocAbNd91DpI9RFF_4kwyIeAOo1i_TBnyc7U8DIWBv3mzhugc0nW5Id5j07SR4ev2rSGzM57J6GDwxDN2MFzwxYQ_B-AJTVHFgu5q1yRFbK6FAUqjGIU7-urNdKq9Xulhb9DGJDqxxYscnuxTdS5NAdOUVUab2vEiDSmu8ANFFHWaBS7Q_WNJ4FQXr0scQlsZGN72mxxWP28XV9bmk8rKmEMuZeDmWsCFAjhDx3JLgJIQb29HKONtnDKtEvxNaqzLYX6nl4dVQze-AC8e2HdETabmN_n-rFWwSsfrvIPGTqhFSHZXmwNnIXFTFS-iJTTOatPJtAfLO9IOjYIxMK7SNohhR3lI8arPi2Mm8Q3rU1rhH15F1wQTAsnjXqyZN9maHnI4zBybAVYX62N56CEI7xcnFgl3_V=w551-h735-no

I had the same thought process. I dimpled these parts and everything seems fine. Now, I'm not flying yet so there's that.
:)

Either way will work. If you dimple, you just have to dimple all the interior parts too. Although that doubler may be too thick to dimple. It's been too long and I can't recall the thickness. Like Dave mentioned, just cleco the parts together to countersink.

If you are making the holes to big when you countersink, then practice a lot before doing these holes until you make consistent sized holes. They'll be visible to every passenger that gets in your plane. you'll want them to look good (and be structurally sound too).

Back