What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN Software Update question

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I know to write down all my GTN650 settings before updating to the next software version.

My question is does updating to a new version, from 4.0 to 5.1 in my case, completely wipe out all my old settings?

Inquiring minds..has anyone actually seen if it stays the same?

I know to write down all my GTN650 settings before updating to the next software version.

My question is does updating to a new version, from 4.0 to 5.1 in my case, completely wipe out all my old settings?

Inquiring minds..has anyone actually seen if it stays the same?

I was warned that my settings would be lost, but when I was upgraded, I didn't lose any of the configuration settings. For insurance purposes, I did take photos of every configuration page. I'm thankful I didn't have to use them.

bob

The GTN650 has a configuration module in the harness connector. I would think this would hold the settings for you. It would be interesting to know exactly what the module holds.

Thanks guys, maybe His Airworthiness Stein or Matt will weigh in with that info.

I did not lose my settings either. I think if I remember correctly there is a way to force the GTN to save all the settings to the config module. I would have to be at the airplane to confirm this however.

Widget,
I updated my software last week and didn't lose any settings.

Good luck,

yo Mutha

Guys, is there a "simple" way to get my 650 software updated? By simple I mean, do it myself? I have not done any updates because I thought I had to take it to an avionics dealer/installer at significant expense (I called Cutter Aviation here in Phoenix, and it ain't cheap).

How are you guys getting your updates done?

Although I installed my G3X system, 650, etc. I had to take the plane to a dealer. He passes me a card while I sat in the cockpit, I remove my SD card from the 650 and insert his and upload new software. Took about 10 or 15 minutes. He charged me 1 hr. labor, $80. I did not complain about that at all.

As Jon mentioned, Garmin requires a dealer to perform the update and post update validation. It's a simple upgrade, basically just put in the SD card, boot, and watch the upgrade process. Don't be surprised if you get a negative reaction from the dealer if you just ask for a copy of the SB card. Garmin is pretty heavy handed if they find dealers passing out the cards.

It would be nice if there was an exception for the experimental market, but I also understand that Garmin needs to cover their bases since the GTN650 is covered by the TSO.

Some items Garmin will reimburse the dealer for their labor. Garmin will identify these on the service bulletin. Usually these are to fix a major bug and will upgrade under warranty for a limited time. Feature enhancements usually aren't covered.

It then comes down to the relationship you have with your local dealer and what they want to charge for their service.

GNT650 S/W ver needed for ADS-B

Can someone let me know what version SW is needed on the GTN650 for ADS-B out compliance? This thread started with updating to ver 5.1

Mine ia at System ver 5.0

The GPS/WAAS BOARD is at 5.0

I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade to 5.1

Thanks
Gary

GNT650

Just trying to avoid flying the plane to the avionics shop for the upgrade if it's not needed for ADSB compliance. I spoke to MayDay (local shop at GRR) and as long as the GPS/WAAS board is at 5.00 I'm good to go.

I may upgrade anyway at some point in time but would like to know what the upgrade is fixing or what added benefit it provides.

Gary

Just trying to avoid flying the plane to the avionics shop for the upgrade if it's not needed for ADSB compliance. I spoke to MayDay (local shop at GRR) and as long as the GPS/WAAS board is at 5.00 I'm good to go.

I may upgrade anyway at some point in time but would like to know what the upgrade is fixing or what added benefit it provides.

Gary

There are quite a few new features added to 5.1. Most will depend on if you have the specific hardware combination installed that the feature uses.

Features that are generic that I find quite helpful are:

• Added airspace altitude overlay on the moving map
  • Added Simple Frequency Entry for COM and NAV frequencies (leading ?1? and trailing zero(s) not required)
  • Added display of station identifiers for active and standby COM and NAV frequencies (I really like this to eliminate accidently selecting a wrong frequency)
  • Added ability for data fields to be configured to display radial and distance to the tuned VOR
  • Added ability for the data fields on the map page of the GTN 6XX/7XX and the default navigation

For a complete listing: http://garmin.blogs.com/files/1466b_asdn.pdf

Good info

Bob,
I was looking for the release notes but couldn't find them, thanks for sharing.

It does look like there are some additional benefits to the upgrade that are worthwhile.

Gary

Which GTN Updates?

I bought my GTN650 not too long after they went on the market. (2011)
I haven't worked with it much but know the map seems to work and the COM seems to work although it does exhibit some of the issues that have been discussed previously on this forum.
When I got the unit, naturally I registered it with Garmin. So far, since I've owned the unit, I've received 30+ service alerts, bulletins, notifications and advisories. :( Some of the issues would seem to be less important to me than others.
I will be flying my plane for the first time very soon. I have an SL40 that I plan to use since it is clear, reliable and I know works.

Eventually, I need to get the issues with the GTN resolved. ie: get necessary updates performed.

HERE'S MY QUESTION(s):
When I get a software update performed on the GTN, does the update cover everything for a one-time charge? Or, is it an update for every little thing that's wrong with the unit and you pay for each one.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Yes, you can get the software updates all at once. Each update is defiined as required or optional. The required ones Garmin may reimburse the dealer for their time. Optional ones, you'll be responsible for their hourly rate to perform the upgrade. Any hardware mods requires the unit to be sent back to Garmin, which is $975 if you are out of warranty.

Give your Garmin dealer a call, they can do all the leg work and tell what the costs may be.

I have a question about updating the Nav Data on my GTN650. I was going to download the data but the website said I have to have at least version 4 software on the unit before installing the new Nav Data.

So I am going to have to visit the dealer and update the unit before I update the Nav Data, since my unit as Version 3 on it now.

I called Garmin and the rep said that I had to use the SD card that came with the unit to download the Nav Data-- that does not sound right to me. Does anyone have experience downloading the GTN650 Nav Data to a generic SD card?

I have a question about updating the Nav Data on my GTN650. I was going to download the data but the website said I have to have at least version 4 software on the unit before installing the new Nav Data.

So I am going to have to visit the dealer and update the unit before I update the Nav Data, since my unit as Version 3 on it now.

I called Garmin and the rep said that I had to use the SD card that came with the unit to download the Nav Data-- that does not sound right to me. Does anyone have experience downloading the GTN650 Nav Data to a generic SD card?

Yes. It works--I've done it with a 2GB card.

Yes. It works--I've done it with a 2GB card.

To further clarify, most SD cards will work just fine. You don't need the Garmin labeled card to load data. I've been using Sandisk cards without an issue. You may want to stock up. The smaller cards are getting harder to fine and the prices are creeping up. Not everything requires a 32gb or 64gb card. :D

So I tried to load nav data to the gtn650 using a generic 8g SD card, and the unit did not see the data. So I used one of the two cards rhat came with the unit. When I statred the unit it showed that the data on the card was older than the data on the unit. I thought maybe it was because I downloaded the nav data using a mac, so I downloaded the data from a pc and tried it again, same thing. Called Garmin tech support, closed on Saturday... Shucks.

So I tried to load nav data to the gtn650 using a generic 8g SD card, and the unit did not see the data. So I used one of the two cards rhat came with the unit. When I statred the unit it showed that the data on the card was older than the data on the unit. I thought maybe it was because I downloaded the nav data using a mac, so I downloaded the data from a pc and tried it again, same thing. Called Garmin tech support, closed on Saturday... Shucks.

The gtn650 uses a 4gb card. I suspect the OS can't read a file system larger than 4gb.

NAV Data cost sharing

So the elephant in the room question is, can a Jepp NAV data update for a GTN 650 be loaded onto more than one radio?

So the elephant in the room question is, can a Jepp NAV data update for a GTN 650 be loaded onto more than one radio?

There are packages available that allow you to update multiple devices in the same airplane but if you are asking if you can just download the update and copy it to multiple GTN data cards for use in several airplanes then no.

Pretty sure Jepp would consider that stealing since they are most definitely in the business of selling their databases.

I have a Garmin PilotPak subscription and each System/device has it's own System ID and database unlock code so the data can't be shared even if you wanted to. I'm guessing Jepp handles the data in a similar fashion.

Can't get Navigation Data to load onto the GTN650

Still having issues with trying to get the latest Nav data to update on the GTN.

I did the install routine from Fly Garmin onto a 2GB generic SD card. The routine loaded a file called avtn_db.bin

Plugged that into the GTN and powered up, and the GTN did not ask me to update... Like it did not see the card.

So I put the file on one of the Garmin SD cards, still no joy. What am i doing wrong? It should not be this difficult.

GTN SW version 5.13 GPS version 5.0

Thanks for the help.

GTN 650 Database update problem

Ed,
I have the same problem, newly installed 650, downloaded the latest databases from the Garmin site, the 650 sees the newer databases on the SD card but won't load them. I start the 650 by holding down the HOME button and going to database updates. It sees the databases but when I try to update I get the message 'update failed' This is for the Navigation database, Obstacle database & Terrain databases. Starting the 650 normally then going to 'system' and 'system status' the new databases are listed under the 'standby' tab, but I can't get the 650 to load them.

Hopefully someone here can point us in the right direction, don't want to buy more databases if I can't get them to load.

Just got this from Garmin Aviation Tech Support:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Please remove the ld.txt file from the card. That is not a normal file found on the cards. Please try this step to force the update. Please press in the inner right hand knob and hold when powering up the GTN. If the step works you should see a update page on boot up. You will release the knob once you see the update screen. Please let us know if the step works for you.

I wonder what the ld.txt file is on the card? It's on every one of my original Garmin data cards and also on the cards which I created with the install routine on flygarmin.com. Can't imagine that it would be harmful to the install process.

Also G3Xpert replied to my email to tech support and suggested trying to reformat my SD card to MSDos fat 32 and trying again... I use a mac. So I will report back on the next install attempt.

Hello,

We understand that beginning with GTN V5.13, the GTN doesn't prompt you on power-up to install a navigation database that has not yet reached the effectivity date. Some customers were accidentally loading databases before they intended to do so.

Since the 1604 cycle effectivity date is Mar. 31, 2016, it won't prompt on power-up until tomorrow.

That will not stop you from installing the update today if you wish using one of two methods.
1. Push in on the knob on power up and it will prompt to load the navigation database from the inserted SD card.
2. Or hold the HOME key on power-up, enter configuration mode, and load the database update from the Updates page.

Thanks,
Steve

GTN Database Software

Hi Steve,

I have been trying to load the databases for the past 3 weeks, the databases I have been trying to load expire tomorrow. With being busy at work etc. I haven't had the time to fully explore and understand exactly why it wouldn't load however this morning I spent sometime reviewing things then the light bulb went off. Upon checking the system ID on the flygarmin website it turns out I had to many digits entered when I registered the unit so the Id.txt file on the SD card won't match the ID of the unit. It all makes sense now. I have sent a request to the support email address listed on the website asking if the ID on the website can be updated.
Looks like a just wasted a cycle of database updates, you live and learn.

Hi Steve,

I have been trying to load the databases for the past 3 weeks, the databases I have been trying to load expire tomorrow. With being busy at work etc. I haven't had the time to fully explore and understand exactly why it wouldn't load however this morning I spent sometime reviewing things then the light bulb went off. Upon checking the system ID on the flygarmin website it turns out I had to many digits entered when I registered the unit so the Id.txt file on the SD card won't match the ID of the unit. It all makes sense now. I have sent a request to the support email address listed on the website asking if the ID on the website can be updated.
Looks like a just wasted a cycle of database updates, you live and learn.

Hi Jim

Yes, all of us have to be extra careful when entering those pesky 13 digit System IDs, but we can easily correct that number in your account and make sure you didn't waste a month of your subscription.

I don't see you in the G3Xpert Inbox, but if you don't get a response soon from the other support inbox, please let us know.

Thanks,
Steve

GTN Database Problem

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very quick response. I will forward you a copy of the e-mail I sent to [email protected]. This explains what I did wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

I was able to load the Navigation Data successfully in the GTN650 after following the tech supporters suggestions. Interestingly I used a generic SD card to download the data, and it still worked. However, after removing the generic card, inserting the Garmin SD card and restarting, everything was up to date EXCEPT terrain, which was missing. That's ok though because i have terrain on the G3X units.

Thanks guys.

Back