What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good drill bits needed, where to find?

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
So I'm half way thru the fuselage and have been battling poor drill quality. Last order was from AS and they were terrible (no it's not technique or a low quality hand drill).

Where is the best place to purchase quality drills? Should I buy some of the 'double margin' drills? (I found some Panamerican Tools).

Thanks in advance.

So I'm half way thru the fuselage and have been battling poor drill quality. Last order was from AS and they were terrible (no it's not technique or a low quality hand drill).

Where is the best place to purchase quality drills? Should I buy some of the 'double margin' drills? (I found some Panamerican Tools).

Thanks in advance.

DM (double margin) are excellent and will make near reamer quality holes, they are also much better for match drilling.
I have been very happy with the bits from both Panamerican and Brown tool.

Get cobalt bits. Avery, cleaveland, the Yardstore all sell good bits. If you buy US made bits you will see a difference in quality and price and your frustration level. The hardware stores seem to all have chinese tools these days and they are just not up to the task.

I get mine from Cleveland tools.

Last set I received from Cleaveland had what appeared to be a couple of different brands even though they were all the same size. Makes me wonder if they are switching brands as the bits without the little nub on the butt end look suspiciously like the cheap bits I have purchased from The Yard Store. Lots of good stuff at The Yard, but #30 and #40 bits are not one of them. I really like the old bits I purchased from Cleaveland.

Maybe Mike from Cleaveland will weigh in.

Last edited:
Thanks all

I have used Enco for most of my reamers.

I think I'll try the DM drills from Pan American and then it sounds like Avery or Brown next.

My 'kit' had no holes... so done plenty of drilling ... Best drills I have found are made by Precision Twist Drill Co, Crystal Lake IL, Type R18A, They are High Speed drills, Split Point, US Made, not Cobalt which are not ideal on thin alu...

Got mine from Brown Tools ....

I bought a dozen each of #40 and #30 when I started my build in 2006, along with singles in the other common sizes. I'm still using drills from that batch. Brown offers jobber-length cobalt drills for very reasonable prices.

The last batch of #40 I purchased from Aircraft Spruce all broke within a short period. One almost hurt me. I'll stick with other sources for drill bits. I've had good luck with Bob Avery.

Jerry Folkerts

Now that would surely upset me to break a drill! I haven't yet on the plane but certainly have on other projects.

It seems as if some of the suppliers have changed sources for drills which do not have the same quality as their past offerings.

www.mscdirect.com

135 deg split tip type HSS or Colbalt. Colbalt last longer. I would only buy the US made ones. The split tip is important for the type of work we do.
It is easier to peruse their online version of the paper catalog than search the online database.

Have been busy with family, but finally back on the build and used the new DM drills from Panamaerican tool. WOW! Very nice holes. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Back