What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan 370 manuals

Jim Ball

For those of you who have Titan engines or are considering buying one, I'm posting to let you know that Continental Aerospace Technologies has certified certain models of the fuel injected 370 engines. Certification requires that full support is available so we now have published;

Document

OI-32 IO 370 Installation and Operators Manual
M-32 IO 370 Series Maintenance and Overhaul Manual

These can be accessed through a subscription to ATP. I can send you copies via e-mail if you are not an ATP subscriber. My email address is;

[email protected]

[email protected]

JB, Thanks for getting those manuals out to us 370 owners as very few folks subscribe to the ATP manuals (pricey).

I just want to add how pleased I am with my new IO370, I chose the high compression pistons (9.6, CB crank, 195 rated HP), AFP injection and stock Bendix mags.

I can tell you this, this new engine makes my old 180hp engine seem like a slouch, this thing pulls hard on TO and cruises fast (my friends are having trouble keeping up now). FF is up a bit as would be expected from the increased HP, but I am absolutely loving the performance of this new 370!

Thanks for your great support!

Great engine

I agree with Walt 100%. Walt's plane was already faster than mine, so I was "forced" :D to upgrade my engine when Walt did his - so we now have identical engines and props.

I am very happy with the extra power I'm getting with the IO-370 and the engine runs smooth as a top.

Hi Walt, did you encounter any difficulties installing the 370 in your 7A? I’am considering a 7A with a Titan 370. What kind of prop do you have and can you get 175kts TAS at 9 gal/hr?

Thanks, Bob Bisbee

Hi Walt, did you encounter any difficulties installing the 370 in your 7A? I’am considering a 7A with a Titan 370. What kind of prop do you have and can you get 175kts TAS at 9 gal/hr?

Thanks, Bob Bisbee

Removed a 360 and bolted on the 370, no issues or problems with the install as it was a direct replacement.
I run the 74" Hartzell BA.

Haven't done any real cruising at the higher altitudes yet and been running ROP as the engine is still in the break-in stage (about 50 hrs on it).

No free lunch, power/speed uses more fuel, the increased power available didn't make me go faster, unless I want to burn more gas to do it.

Jim, thanks for the manuals. The quality of them is quite impressive. It's nice to see documentation on these types of engines that is not 50 years old!

V

I was just going through the maintenance/overhaul manual. In two places, it states that the TBO is 1,000 hours. Is that right? See pages 61 and 123.

370 TBO

I was just going through the maintenance/overhaul manual. In two places, it states that the TBO is 1,000 hours. Is that right? See pages 61 and 123.

The manual is for the certified 370 engines. The TBO will be extended very shortly. In fact, it will be extended to 2400 hrs. It's a procedural issue with the certification. First a conservative TBO is assigned for the FAA submittals and then later it will be amended.

Back