What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Another AF-3500 setup

My dual AF-3500's arrived yesterday. With the backup batteries they powered right up. I'm slowly getting the rest of the harnesses wired together for everything else, so nothing else switches on yet, but this is much nicer than paper cut-outs !

050208_Dignity_panel.JPG

Stock Vans tip-up panel, ribs altered to suit, with Affordable Panels vents, Perihelion design switch guards around the engine and electric switches and one of Dayton's thottle quadrants.

Instruments are a dual AF-3500EF/EM; Digiflight II-VSGV (with auto pitch trim), PM8000B, GNS530W, SL30 and GTX330. Three pointer Winter altimeter (nice but very expensive for what it is), Vertical card compass and 2.25" ASI complete the package. Only thing I'm waiting on now is my 2.25" ADI to replace my T&B.

Richard

OLD SCHOOL AND LIKIN IT

Just an old school panel with DVD/MP3/CD. My buddy Dennis Fox put the tail number on the airplane so I would not forget it. Nice touch, thanks Dennis.
One hole left. Debating TC or G Meter. Any thoughts. KX-125 and Garmin 320A for the radio holes. Will put vents up top flush mount so I will have push button starter.

Both?

For IFR, I'd want a TC and clock/timer on the left side of the cockpit.
For aerobatics I'd definitely want a G-meter on the pilot's side.
They do make a combination digital G-meter/clock but, I don't have any experience with a digital readout, so I can't recommend it.

You could put a TC in the 3-1/8 hole, and swap one of your electrical gages with the clock.
If you decide to go with a separate G-meter, you could probably put it in the other electrical gage slot, and get rid of the second CHT...
Speaking of which, why two CHTs?

My .02

Paige

Paige,

Thanks for the thoughts. Was thinking the same way.
Two CHT's for the back 2 cylinders and did not want
to use the flip switches or rotary dials.

Thanks,

My first panel was cutout for the two screen Grand Rapids Sport-HC EFIS. Well, I am within a couple months or so of having my plane flyable. The budget is at least six to eight months from being able to pay for the GRT EFIS'. Fall back, punt, order new blank panel from Van's and build up a simple day VFR panel with what I already have. ASI, ALT, Electric T&B, VSI, Icom A-210, Garmin GTX-327 and GRT EIS-4000. We are focused on the goal, "Get It In The Air".
00014.jpg

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, O-360-A1A

Here is a shot of my panel -- still waiting on my custom length throttle cable, but that is the last thing to add.

1540.jpg

FINALLY got my new panel installed & working! (Sorry last pic. too big)

After over a year of planning and re-planning and changing things over and over I think decided on all the components, layout and finish. WOW! what a job. When I started this plane I didn't know what a alternator was. Oh well......I'm learning.
45e559f962.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Looks great

Steve,
Your panel looks great and shows that you put a lot of thought into the placement. Very nicely done.
Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG
RV-9A N942PT

1st draft

Had a few moments today and slapped up some cutouts for my proposed VFR XC panel. D180, Avmap IV, Icom200, 320 or 327 xpdr, navaid A/P, sig 200s, backup airspeed(maybe not), map box......long ways to go, but gives me something to look at. Comments welcomed.

RV7247.jpg

Panel for RV-6 Tipper

Here's mine.

Single AFS 3500EE w/ map option
Garmin 396
KMA24
SL-30
ICOM A210
GTX-320A
TT ADI Pilot II
TT Pictoral T&B
Flightcomm 403
IPOD Nano

Mission, IFR Lite

Here's mine...

Here's how mine turned out.
(The right side is pilot seat.)

The panel is VFR day/night.

The basics:
AFS 3500 EFIS
Garmin 296
Garmin SL-40 VHF
Garmin 327 transponder
Proximity R-5 alert
Vans EXP-2 switch board
Dual P-mags

The empty hole on the upper right side is for the standby compass.

The empty space to the left of the standby compass is for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Looking like it might actually fly one day

Here is my very basic VFR panel. Things are being mounted in the panel for the final time and wires are actually getting terminated. It keeps looking more like an airplane every day.
p1011114.jpg

After the 5.4 earthquake yesterday, centered only 40 miles from here, My almost finished project is now insured .

Last edited:
Posted somewhere else but again here to keep all the rv7 panels together:
Simple modern VFR panel, with critical backups was my mission...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=29064

Hi RVators,

Just like my other movies, I also made a short Slow stop Animation Movie of the Panel Install to remember the Milestone.
http://www.vimeo.com/904498

rudis_rv_zulu7_2150_hours.jpg

PS: If you have not seen my other Slow Stop Movies, watch them as well on Vimeo or from my website.

Kind Regards
Rudi

N19MM's panel

Here's the panel for my RV-7A that Aerotronics is working on - looking good so far.

DSC01199.JPG

That's a VP100, two GRT HXs, garmin 300xl, garmin 496 dock, garmin sl30, ps engineering 8000b, garmin 327, and trutrak AP. The empty circles are for backup airspeed indicator, altimeter, and trutrak attitude indicator. The 4th hole on the left is for a aerospace logic dual fuel indicator (which may get removed).

The panel might end up a bit "busy" - especially with the backup instruments. We'll see.

Last edited:
Very nice Rudi - I like the vent and jack socket sub panels.
Jim Sharkey

Hi Jim,
Thanks, my interior upholstery is going to be black, so I wanted to make sure i get a bit of black on the side of the panel as well. Wanted my headphone jacks as close as possible to side skins, to limit wire / leg interference.
Regards
Rudi

Ray-Allen indicator?

Rudi, why are you using the Ray-Allen indicator for the flaps (I suppose it is for flaps?) and not use one of the Dynon General-Purpose inputs instead? Have you used your 3 GP-inputs for something else?

Regards, Tonny

Tony -- If you look at the "blow up" photo you'll see that the ray-allen is for the elevator -- unless I'm missing something ??

Rudi -- I would like to know how you were able to align your labels , they look perfect.
Bob

Rudi, why are you using the Ray-Allen indicator for the flaps (I suppose it is for flaps?) and not use one of the Dynon General-Purpose inputs instead? Have you used your 3 GP-inputs for something else?

Regards, Tonny

Hi Tonny,
The Ray-Allen is indeed for the Elevator Trim, The Flaps is standard Vans Flap switch, no indicator. If you know how to integrate them to show up on the Dynon please send me a PM, it would be nice to get Flap Position indication, since that portion did not make a lot of sense in the Dynon Manual for me..:confused:
Regards
Rudi

Tony -- If you look at the "blow up" photo you'll see that the ray-allen is for the elevator -- unless I'm missing something ??

Rudi -- I would like to know how you were able to align your labels , they look perfect.
Bob

Hi Bob,

I am no expert but this is what I did for Labeling...it is DIY!
Go to Amazon.com and order a Brother PT-1280 P-touch Electronic Labeling System for $40 then get yourself the 1/2" Industrial Strength Adhesive TZS131 Tape Black on Clear Lettering Cartride $13. I used clear backround since my panel is silver/grey backround and it worked great, you might have to change depending on your backround.
246892c008a08a99f9ee5010.L.jpg

I set the label maker on minimum margin and it to produce round border you see around the lettering. Then I print each invividual label and cut their left and right sides close to the border.

Then I peel the paper of the back of the label exposing the sticking back, and I stick the corner of the label to my pointy hobby knife. Now I can manuever the knife with the label on the tip to get it where I want it before just pressing down on the lable an setting it in place.

Here is a picture of the type of knife I use:
hcar0109.jpg

There might be better methods, but this is what I used.

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Hi Tonny,
The Ray-Allen is indeed for the Elevator Trim, The Flaps is standard Vans Flap switch, no indicator. If you know how to integrate them to show up on the Dynon please send me a PM, it would be nice to get Flap Position indication, since that portion did not make a lot of sense in the Dynon Manual for me..:confused:
Regards
Rudi

The flap position sensor is just a linear potentiometer. Connect one side of the sensor to the +5 volts (orange per Dynon), the other side to ground (Blue per Dynon) and then connect the wiper to one of you GP inputs (Green per Dynon). Then go thru the calibration process for that input and assign it to the flap position indication.

What you can't do is use both the Ray Allen indicator and the Dynon at the same time. This is because the Ray Allen indicator uses 12 volts and the Dynon input is limited to 5. It also screws up the biasing on the Ray Allen indicator making it inaccurate.

rudi,
not sure which version of instructions you have, but the newest version, availiable in pdf from dynon, show the hook-up for trim indicators...after burning up the ray allen elevator trim indicator (80$) i hooked up the dynon to display pitch and roll trim. you will need a pot for flaps to add it to the dynon.
http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html

the newest version of instructions are a must for more than one reason...DSAB, TRIM and some configuration info i couldnt find in the older manual.

Last edited:
I have the ptouch and what I use to cut the ends off is a single edge razor blade, you put the strip on a flat surface, put the razor across the end for the cut and then press, nice cut.

Update

Finally got everything on the panel wired up and working.

Panel.jpg

Next step is getting the Infinity stick grips wired up.

Richard

Nice panel Rich and I like the color! Where did you get you stand-by altimeter?

Jim
-7 (11.5 hrs)

Mike called it spot on - not cheap, but certainly much more useable than the UMA 2 pointer.

Thought you'd like the colour (sorry, color) - benefit of the internet is you can copy all the great ideas from other folk ;)

Glad to see the flap problem wasn't too much of a drama.

Richard

Thanks for the info. I'll need to replace my cheap UMA 2" single pointer before I do a pitot/static check for IFR work so I'm looking for a reasonable replacement. Great looking panel though!

Here's a picture of my panel in progress. Dual AFS Advanced Deck EFIS, 430, SL-30 and Trutrack II-VSGV flatpack to be added later. Clock will be replaced with a TT ADI as well.

Panel%20071108.jpg

The finally completely completed panel - N212S

I'm headed to the hanger in about a week, should do first flight shortly there after. It's gonna be about 2 years on a QB7 :rolleyes:

N212S_Panel.jpg

This is an in-flight panel shot of a friends RV-9 (Hugh Satchell - NSW, Australia)....gives you a good idea of the visibility of the standard GRT's and the Avmap in daylight (not direct sunlight).....FYI.

dsc0320dp3.jpg

I recognise that sky!

Are you sure that pic was taken in Aus, that sky looks like an English sky on a GOOD day! :)

Shiney

Yep

A dodgy overcast day in OZ would be a good day in the UK wouldn't it!

We found open blue skies just over the horizon (and we got there in about twenty minutes!!!).

Alex D's new RV7 Panel, Dual AFS4500's!

Come see Alex's new RV7 panel to be on display in our booth at OSH. Looks pretty good with Dual AFS-4500 EFISes and a TruTrak EFIS on the right....

Cheers,
Stein

ALEXOSH2.jpg

ALEXOSH1.jpg

Wow, Stein. Now I know what the back of your new "limited edition" t-shirt means! Actually, I think that's worth more than my whole house! :eek:

Last edited:
Panel - Missing glass friends: this ones worth at least as much as my house...

This panel is missing it's two best friends.....Dual GRT HX units hopefully coming to OZ from America in the not too distant future. Feeling lonely......

The lowdown:

Dual GRT HX 6.5's and EIS
AVMAP (in the centre)
TT A/P Digiflight II VSGV (up the top)
AFS SPORT AOA (up top to right of TT A/P)
BACK-UPS - ASI, VSI, TT ADI, ALT,
CARD COMPASS, G-METER
PMA 9000EX
GARMIN SL-40
GARMIN GTX 327
EX2V Load Centre with Indicator Panel

There's a big hole under the LHS EFIS Screen trying to convince me to put a Garmin GNS430W in it.........if i did that the panel would be worth more than my house......and if my wife had any idea how much my panel was worth......you get the picture!!!

A few switches, dimmers etc yet to be located and park brake, alt air, cabin heat etc (all going along the bottom on the RHS).

SO

Before someone asks:

My 7 is being set up for PIC in the Left or Right Seat.

The RH seat is set-up primarily for flying Aerobatics - G-meter to RHS and conventional airspeed and altitude indicators to RHS also. I prefer to fly aeros with my RH on the stick and LH on the throttle.

The LH seat is set-up primarily for X-country. Card Compass on LHS and ADI, ASI back-ups. That big hole under the GRT EFIS panel on the LHS is waiting for a GNS 430W (as mentioned above).

Best of both worlds and the GRT's make both sides of the plane completely flexible.

Can't wait to light it up.....shouldn't be too far away because I am hooking it all up with an Approach Fast Stack Pro Hub/Cable system...........

Cheers

JON

Last edited:
GNS 430

I have a friend in Indonesia selling a 430...you interested?

Your panel is beautiful Jon. I finally bought a 430W and am enjoying all of it's capabilities... including fully coupled GPS approaches with the TruTrak AP-100. When will you fly her? Having the WASS capability, especially where you live, would be awesome. I also like your logic on how/why you are positioning your instruments. I've never flown aerobatics with my left hand.

No follow up on our "Buddy". Nobody has the time or recources to become involved. I unfortunately paid $13000.00 for a $8000.00 radio. By the way, there are several vendors selling the Garmin 430W for $8000.00 US. If you need any assistance in researching or purchacing parts.... let me know.

Hope all is well with your family and business. Love to see some pictures of your airplane.

Sincerely,

Tim

GNS430W

Hi Tim -

Yeah - I almost purchased a used 430W from a not so honest guy who lives in Australia, Indonesia and Singapore (all at the same time) until some genuinely honest and far too trusting ex USAF pilot warned me not to!!!!

I think I will definitely go 430W just trying to convince myself to spend the extra$$$ (as if I haven't spent enough already !!!).

I am hoping to get my 7 in the air late this year with a bit of luck....need to spend less time at my office to make that happen though - will keep you posted.

I'll email you some photos of my progress.

Hope you and your family are well and you are all still having too much fun tearing up blue skies....

Lets hope our friend fate catches up with our not so friendly mate in Indo.....

Best,

JON.

Last edited:
C-GNDY Panel

Finally I can post a pic of my completed and fully operational panel. Everything seems to work properly with 1.24 flight hrs on the plane so far.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice job Andrew! Congratulations on getting the plane flying as well. It's been a pleasure dealing with you throughout your build.

Back