What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elbow too tight in brake master cylinder

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all - I've been working on the rudder pedal assembly and hit a snag. I have all the brass elbows in the brake master cylinders except for one set (of course the VERY last one). I can only get the elbows in about 3 threads deep before they get fairly tight. It seems like the threads are a teensy bit undersized or the alodine was too thick.

I'm hesitant to try and force them in fearing the brass elbow might break and then i'm really screwed. I thought about running a tap through the holes but am concerned about metal ending up in the break lines and I doubt i have a tap that big anyway.

Any suggestions?

Hi all - I've been working on the rudder pedal assembly and hit a snag. I have all the brass elbows in the brake master cylinders except for one set (of course the VERY last one). I can only get the elbows in about 3 threads deep before they get fairly tight. It seems like the threads are a teensy bit undersized or the alodine was too thick.

I'm hesitant to try and force them in fearing the brass elbow might break and then i'm really screwed. I thought about running a tap through the holes but am concerned about metal ending up in the break lines and I doubt i have a tap that big anyway.

Any suggestions?

These are NPT threads and should be more than "fairly" tight. Recommend a good PTFE based sealant and go another turn on it. Concern is not that 3 threads isn't enough to hold it, but that it will leak if not tight enough. Many threads here on leaks from these particular threaded joints. A bit of searching will help.

Larry

Better to screw the fitting into a pipe die, then you can clean off the chips easily. You should have no problem finding the right die at the hardware store.
Stewart Willoughby, 6, paint is next

NPT fittings

What a great forum! I read all the old posts on NPT fittings, followed the suggestions and BAM everything seems ok. I never would have imagined that you can tighten them down so much OR that you can use the fitting as a semi-tap (tighten/back off/tighten, etc.)

What a great forum! I read all the old posts on NPT fittings, followed the suggestions and BAM everything seems ok. I never would have imagined that you can tighten them down so much OR that you can use the fitting as a semi-tap (tighten/back off/tighten, etc.)

And thanks to you bringing it up I learned it today too. Forums are great when you have knowledgeable people like here !!! I help moderate an aviation Facebook page and you get a thousand opinions when a question is asked and more than half are from people who aren?t pilots or mechanics and don?t know what they?re talking about.

Back