What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about Van's AHARS mounting kit

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone had problems using Van's AHARS mounting kit? With it being so close to where the elevator auto pilot servo goes, I was wondering if the servo has caused any interference to the readings of the AHARS. Also has anyone used it with the Dynon AHARS? Does anyone have any shots of the mounting of their Dynon AHARS?
Allen
Very Slow build 7A

Just a data point

Has anyone had problems using Van's AHARS mounting kit? With it being so close to where the elevator auto pilot servo goes, I was wondering if the servo has caused any interference to the readings of the AHARS. Also has anyone used it with the Dynon AHARS? Does anyone have any shots of the mounting of their Dynon AHARS?
Allen
Very Slow build 7A

I did not use the kit, but did mount it just under the top skin behind the baggage bulkhead. No adverse effects noticed in 70 hrs, but it is for a backup instrument.

I don't think anyone uses the Vans AHRS mount due to the fact that the Dynon AD-AHRS is also a mag compass and must be mounted at least 2 feet from any magnetic interference.

Here is a common and quick method of mounting and will be properly leveled to the longerons.

WoDNtSml.jpg

MvTWwMjl.jpg

x9nH19rh.jpg

I also used the longeron mount for my Dual Dynon Adahars mounted piggyback. No interference from slider, however I had to have stainless shoulder harness cables fabricated as they were causing interference.

Just as an FYI, I've mounted dual Garmin AHRS back there with no issues.
Magnetometer is located separately.

I don't think anyone uses the Vans AHRS mount due to the fact that the Dynon AD-AHRS is also a mag compass and must be mounted at least 2 feet from any magnetic interference.

A lot of RV's are flying with Dynon ADAHRS mounted in the upper tail cone area. (Including my personal 6A). Even with an AP pitch servo installed near the pitch control reversal bell crank.
When the factory RV-9A demonstrator' panel was being upgrage with an AFS built dual HDX screen panel last fall, a bracket was designed for that location. It makes it very easy to install single or dual, Dynon or Garmin ADAHRS and they work very well in that location.

Back