What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble with Andair Throttle Quadrant

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - working on a few squawks from my initial flights and am a bit stuck as how to address one of them.

I am using the Andair quadrant,which has a single tension screw to adjust the tension of the three levers. My test pilot noted that when he pulled back the mixture lever to lean out the engine, the prop lever wanted to move down as well.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to address it. Ususally I can think of a couple of things to try, but on this one I am coming up blank.

Thanks,
Jason

Have you tired a drop of oil between the spacers? The levers may be catching on the spacers causing everything to move together.

Andair Throttle Modification

I have an Andair Throttle quadrant which exhibits this behaviour.

I have recently modified it by tying the 2 middle spacers to the quadrant frame. I put some heatshrink around each spacer, these were then clamped with an appropriate size pipe clamp. The clamps were then fixed to two pieces of angle riveted back to back. This angle was then drilled for the forward crossbolt to pass through. This secures the spacers and so they can't transfer movement between levers. If you need more details let me know.

I have an Andair Throttle quadrant which exhibits this behaviour.

I have recently modified it by tying the 2 middle spacers to the quadrant frame. I put some heatshrink around each spacer, these were then clamped with an appropriate size pipe clamp. The clamps were then fixed to two pieces of angle riveted back to back. This angle was then drilled for the forward crossbolt to pass through. This secures the spacers and so they can't transfer movement between levers. If you need more details let me know.

I'd love to see a picture of your solution if you have one.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason

I have uploaded some images to the following addresses:

2vru63l.jpg

el4jdx.jpg

2h2o5li.jpg

I hope this works and helps?

I have yet to fly with the mod as my RV is in pieces having its annual check. But it seems to have completely cured the problem during ground checks. If you can't see the images, can you give me an email address so I can email them directly.

Lisle

Wow - those pictures are great....now I know what I will be doing on the next rainy Saturday.

Thanks,
Jason

Andair quadrant mod

I had the same issue. My solution was to remove the pivot bolt and drill and tap the spacers for a 6-32 screw. I then made a U bracket with a 1/2" tab on one side out of aluminum. The tab was the width of the spacers when the quadrant was assembled. I riveted this to the bottom of the side plates with the tab overlapping the spacers. I had drilled holes in the tab aligned to the spacer tapped hole location. After installing the screws the spacers could not rotate. After 90 hours so far all is good.
Al

Back