What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6/6A Canopy Strut source

trib

Well Known Member
I put the canopy struts on my 6A about a month ago, and now one of the struts doesn't want to play :mad: . It decided that instead of forcing the canopy up, it would just resist extending. I know I can get a replacement from Van, but was wondering if anyone had figured out what the local auto part store equivalent was. Does anyone have info on a part number/manufacturer or anything equivalent :confused: ? Sure would be helpful now and in the future if these things last as short as this one did.

thanks loads!
Tim Ribble

I'm also interested in cheaper options for the struts. The ones on my RV-7 are original but they're on their last legs. Will be ordering a new set from Van's in a few months if a cheaper option doesn't come up. I vaguely recall seeing a thread on this where somebody mentioned JC Whitney as a source, but I don't have any details.

dan said:
.........The ones on my RV-7 are original but they're on their last legs. Will be ordering a new set from Van's in a few months if a cheaper option doesn't come up.........................
Dan,

That's interesting information. I note you have accumulated approximately 841+ hours to date. When opting for the tip-up configuration, I never really considered that canopy struts can be subject to replacement from time to time. Is there any data or field reports out there to indicate how long one can reasonably expect the stock struts to last? Are they essentially a non-repairable item and is strut longevity largely driven by the total of opening and closing cycles? If one strut fails, is it best to just replace it or both at the same time?
I would suppose that just about every vendor source for replacement struts would be well known within the tip-up community. What is the price range for a pair of replacements? Sorry for all the questions...just curious.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

replacement struts

The below quote is a post from the RV-List that I dumped into my "RV Keepers" box.

Sam Buchanan (RV-6 tip-up)

I'm on my third pair. Each pair has lasted about 4 years. I
replaced the first pair with a set from Van's. The next time, which
was last month, I searched around and found some at McMaster Carr
(http://www.mcmaster.com). I used part number 9416K356 Gas Spring
With Threaded Ends 6.30" Stroke Length, 20 lb Force, M6 Male Thread,
$11.39 each. I also added the fittings for the ends - 9416K86
Nylon 10 mm Ball Socket End Fitting For Gas Spring With Threaded
Ends, $1.13 each. They are just right on the extended dimension,
but were about 1/2 inch too long on the compression stroke. I fixed
this by moving the attach point on the side of the fuselage aft 1/2
inch. All I did was to make up new aluminum plates (the ones that
hold the attach ball on the side of the fuselage). Your need to do
this will be dependent on where exactly you mounted the ball in the
first place. They work great and now I have a less expensive
alternative.

Dave
RV-6 N241DC 500 hrs
1932 Monocoupe 110 (slowbuild project)

Has anyone else found a source for struts? The struts on our 6 are failing. This past summer, they did ok with the higher temps, but now that it is cooling off, it's obviously time for new struts.. :)

Has anyone else found a source for struts? The struts on our 6 are failing. This past summer, they did ok with the higher temps, but now that it is cooling off, it's obviously time for new struts.. :)

Be sure to mount them with the shaft pointed down when open. It will make them work properly with a soft stop at the top of extension, and also keep the seal from drying out.

Be sure to mount them with the shaft pointed down when open. It will make them work properly with a soft stop at the top of extension, and also keep the seal from drying out.

Shaft down.. So you're talking "black metal housing" would be closest to the canopy when "up?"

Looks like a deal

http://www.backtoboating.com/Scripts/springmeasure.asp
I bought

Socket Type
15 inch
5/16 inch shaft
30#

Slightly shorter than Van's, but worked perfect or better.
At $13.45 ea. you can't beat the price

I just installed a pair of part # SL33-30-1 on Mikey (RV-6). They look like they will do the job and sure saved a bunch of money. I won't know (I hope) for several years if they last as long as the ones that Vans sells.

The topic that never quits.....

I found some struts online that I'm going to try.
They are 30#. They feel too stiff as I sit here at home looking at them, but I'll go snap them on and see. The source online also has 28# and 25# options.
I picked the 30# because I thought that's what the Vans struts are.
Here's a link for anyone interested.

www.strut-your-stuff-here.com
NP-1600-30 is the part number to the ones I ordered.

PS new struts installed and they work great. A little bit stiff on initial pull down of canopy.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread.

Any 2020 suggestions out there? Also any follow-up on the the ones previously mentioned would be great.

Thanks

I ordered these from Amazon on April 15, 2020 and they work fine. Another post had several people recommending them. You might double check the length to make sure this is the length you need.

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.47.50 AM.png

Back