What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap engraving

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to send in the fuel caps for engraving. Since 100LL is on its way out, but I still need to comform to current standards, Im working on the text. This is what Im considering getting engraved on each cap:

N number- so less chance of losing a filler cap
30 Gal. The fuel amount for each tank

But here is where the question is for fuel type. Right now I will be using 100LL, but when the replacement fuel starts coming in how can you word it for now and later?, without buying and engraving new caps. Some concepts for the wording:

100LL or Equivalent Octane

100 Octane

AvGas 100 Octane

100 Octane or Equivalent

Only fuel tank capacity and minimum octane rating is required.
Lead content has no bearing on this.

Here's what I did based upon the approved min octane for my Lycoming:

38991443341_52e881362a_b.jpg

Only fuel tank capacity and minimum octane rating is required.
Lead content has no bearing on this.

I know we are not certified, but I think that is the wording from the old "Part 23" Standards.

Interestingly the newer Part 23 re-write says this allowing much more latitude, and if lead content is critical, it should be on the label -

(c) Each fuel storage refilling or recharging system must be designed to—

(1) Prevent improper refilling or recharging;

(2) Prevent contamination of the fuel stored during likely operating conditions; and

(3) Prevent the occurrence of any hazard to the airplane or to persons during refilling or recharging.

With an acknowledgement to future electric aircraft. :)

I would only include the minimum octane rating and gallons.

I would leave your N-number off. Just in case you are flying along and it falls off and goes through someone's fancy greenhouse, you might not want to take that call.

I would only include the minimum octane rating and gallons.

I would leave your N-number off. Just in case you are flying along and it falls off and goes through someone's fancy greenhouse, you might not want to take that call.

If I'm flying along and one of them falls off, I've got bigger problems than someones greenhouse.

I had mine engraved with BLUE letters to match the standardized color coding for fuels, placards, etc.

N-number
21 US Gal
100LL

something to that effect :)

Back