What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 796 GPS

2johns

How much work would it be to hook up a new Garmin 796 to the D180 instead of the 496. I understand the 796 is geo referenced and the 496 is not. With the 796 hooked to the dynon 180 would my dynon auto pilot fly a gps approach including the gps glide slope? The local homeland security citation jets can do this. Just dreaming.

The 796 will act just like your 496. The only diff being the cable used to connect em.

The 796 will provide NMEA gps data to the Dynon that it can use drive the AP.

It won't however give you a full approach guidance and won't give you GPS steering.

It also won't give you the vertical parts of a GPS approach either.

I am building a -12 and just had the 796 permanently installed in my Gobosh 700 (Aero AT-4). The installation replaced the 496 and I have a D-180. It was seamless in the installation. I really love the 796 combination with the 180. It drives the bug based on the course set into the flight plan just fine. I will also likely put one in my -12 after certification (or before if I go E-AB). It also integrates with the Garmin radios too to tune to the right freq just by touching it on the 796.. too cool.

The one thing that the Dynon folks told me was that the update rate of the Dynon GPS unit in the Skyview is greater than the 796 provides out. This means smoother updates. With that said, I think the update rate of the 796 works fine. I flew with the 796 (not permanently installed, suction cup mount) down from Colorado Springs to Sebring and absolutely loved it.

The biggest improvement for me over the 496 it replaces is the big screen and I also moved it closer to the pilot to better see it. I flew a friend looking to buy one last weekend. He was absolutely amazed by the faux synviz in the pattern.

Carl

Deviation on the 796 question

Horizontal or vertical mounting for the 796? Just curious from a function view. I ended up mounting it vertical due to panel constraints.

I have mine vertically in the Gobosh and would do the same in the -12. To me it looks more natural vertically. I also used the Air Gizmos mount and it seems to work fine.

Carl

I have mine vertically in the Gobosh and would do the same in the -12. To me it looks more natural vertically. I also used the Air Gizmos mount and it seems to work fine.

Carl

Carl - I am using the Gizmo also, my mock up panel below. Tonight I should finish the mounting brackets for the avionics move on to wiring.

rv12panel2.jpg

You might check out the last item in the "Modifications" sticky thread - regarding making the panel pieces removable without having to totally remove and redo the engine and cabin heat controls each time.

Late night install

That's a great looking panel!

Tom here is a picture from last night's work. It is exciting when you hit a milestone. Even better when the panel comes out very close to the computer generated picture!

panel5212.jpg

Back