What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marring to pop rivets

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
Would appreciate some advice here. I noticed using a hydraulic rivet puller I was getting a lot of marring on the pop rivet head. After grinding the rivet puller nose smooth because the hole was not very clean I didn't get much improvement. I bought a new puller which has a better sized nose piece for the LP4 rivets. Rivets are much improved but still some marring. I tried reducing the air pressure, moving the black barrels inside the rivet forward. Is there a trick I'm missing.

This old thread was my starting point

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=97906&highlight=burr+pop+rivet&page=2

Robert

fwiw i made new ''tips'' for my riveter i think i started with a coarse thread 1/4'' bolt. i made the hole as small as i could because the rivets were ''flowing'' up into the hole. made a big difference. i think i heat treated to straw color.

Just put a piece of masking tape over the tip and there won't be any more marring. Maybe two pieces of tape and you won't have to replace it as often.
Just put the tape on the nose of the puller and punch the hole with the first rivet mandrel.

Had the same to begin with and as mentioned it is the head pulling up into the mandrel.

Get the tip size that is too small and drill out so it just clears the mandrel. Polish the tip on a unitised wheel or similar and you should be fine.

Oh - and get one of the angle device jibbers from Cleaveland - they are absolutely essential for close in rivets :D

draw burr

I was getting not marring but a draw burr... the rivet head material would pull into the gap between the puller hole and the rivet nail. A piece of aluminum with a hole to fit the nail fixes the problem and when you use it it gets a little mashed so the hole gets tighter rather than looser.

Also I ground material from the puller for corner clearance.

l5Jy-8IsbkhByriQ72rRzZjfqLjF69ApHp8rJtQK1_YLhm1gBQ2FUTnvm7gOlZgxyuVli_PA7xiSSiXFeHcJpipRB1YUwslMwwgGAxeUrsKFcq8kpU24ComSmqFh4HF7CuaDk370nL9TGUlQRa7li5ig7tPHzpCmwUN_dToUk_yR4yWttALLK_E4j7ZDAF5oIfcQS4-_YPig5B26d9-H5PgY3cxyQ1AGvBNYVEelYs1f9tPV7UF711QqUGNgfTI43WlWu6IUOLhlLEgSUO6sGka6VfDxQfp9xgNkKcyy_O4NYtNpbRNvDa4s0fx53HRHIx49zdvJJNgkoTFuiSbpaNoM630vvrDJFSNkVKrHMny2Oof0fz0RWRwMKLPxDStwC1kusKgiRiDhfMIA0NoQwXBPk-3HfCBsZhg-OyytpjujMd7-Ua0XeVxpzWui5lgaxOObO0wFWybfhSbchKY6AcEyT_UIx8jhG7KHl0ClTNOdVnPQwWYKNnoZ4NFSzGZURioR3qHUqyWOEB85qs4MgK2-cASAS5BU0QUFtPmSmZtImO_BgzQA-q5X1Mrqb5NqZg3iTO57qvZAXS9llUlpkfjTFanjTCspSQI8H236oTc_LQSooGr7GvETBcvj-FU-2XIjiDfuVDO9NjxrY04DgqYtFfd6b-MFxYaRw_M5SQ=s653-no

swvm7yit0ubf-nz93Tw61dDHbP3c8fLIAmz7YFvPKUKzIRZqNXXg5-vfy79T7xG0lqjL1r6e0t8q9HJX4lCwk63n2f3B9oNCPBvOTCNxup7kTwxmifBhUxKJcPzENA27z9-2lmXUW1gxkgatHbhRY8g55maLXMy3JPf3Onm9CXbdD5Lfw6mJUT6_DtjcQehdO7ZbLno7NIkp9awevwWNhtW-gUoI4TVtWce8VHThPZQXh46Ci_wehM_IaUe5fVaDyymq7dynqwvrczQ9paoFGwtldjmhXmodnt5SFtsPGltQoQ5qCsPdm5E-BHKWFqfjBL6BiQdJe73T5l10dQveNG8_VTF9xfOI_YCzEEju9VL-utvKKijHLzFfYGI_5OxHUo1JOax0AvSflDi3bH0RZzEw589eoYiROwiWI2zk8rvoiTE34BofxVV8KtEUW5w4E48lHunG8dUdsXEW_WbCF1_YxM9jKx4Wq1R7jE3C-hy6fS-6cP8XAWVjxsMytzt3BvKCjtlA2KHa61RKJhHuw33IKyBlHwB787N_v3tBBvuk2l_0IwIiERFK6iqrPTjEcgmrkfQvaoxvleJtxTSQDsTceknJw118XbNwbXFw7q5n9ECEthAcPuFqLnsiQzndyy_Mmq0Bmq0AbLv0t5S5mb-jJN-cNfwO_husHtSDhg=s653-no

The only time I got a draw burr was when I mistakenly used a nose piece designed for the shank of a 3/16" pulled rivet on an LP4-3.

IMHO, as long as the "marring" is not structurally compromising the strength of the rivet head, don't worry about the "cosmetic" aspect. Your paint prep and final paint coats will easily cover any cosmetic blemishes. Do try to fit the rivet-puller nosepiece to closely match the rivet mandrel to minimize the potential for marring, but don't obsess about it.

Back