- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Other Aft CG Considerations

I may be stating the obvious but there are other issues to be concerned with when at or beyond the aft CG limit besides pitch sensitivity.

Stall speed will be lower which sounds like a good thing but, because of the pitch sensitivity, it is easier to stall in the final turn etc since you will get more alpha with less force. And if you do stall it may be harder to recover and easier to depart.

Some of the above factors are why the aft CG limit for aerobatics on the -7 is 2.3" forward than for "normal" flight.

I have had my RV-10 at the aft CG limit and it is easy to over control in pitch, especially ballooning in the flare. I always double check the weight in balance when I know I am close to the aft limit with zero fuel (worst case). I keep a scale at the airport to weigh people and luggage if have a full load to make sure I have the weight in the right places (people and luggage).

I was fortunate enough to fly the Calspan variable stability Lear Jet and play with the lateral, longitudinal and pitch stability as well as pitch force per g, control "slop", atencyl, etc. It was amazing how quickly you could lose it and hit the limits in some conditions when transitioning from straight and level to a high gain tracking task. Neutral or negative pitch stability is eye-opening!
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 08-02-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Time to fess up

I have had to be very careful, because of the c/g, that the heavy rear weight causes the plane tail to tilt such that it hits ground and damages the real tail fairing. Have had to do some fiberglass repair and paint more than once.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Old thread but good to study

Re-read this thread after "hauling a load" in the 9A recently. Got a good deal (as in free) on some lithium batteries in CA. Wanted to haul as many home as possible. So, I packed a tall backpack like a human... stuffed to the gills with batteries. A few more stowed down by pax area footwell. Remainder in the baggage area. Probably 75 lbs. worth. It flew fine, and I did not think too long about what a load of lithium would be like in a forced landing!
This Oshkosh scenario is a good one to think about. Fedex ground is cheap, compared to a landing ding. Maybe pilots will chime in about where to ship their gear. Maybe Basler, the FBO would accept packages, if you go and buy some fuel during the show.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Default Shipping freight to Airventure

C/O GES
Wittman Field
EAA Convention Site
1001 W Waukau Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54902 USA

There are shipping labels available on the EAA website - Airventure - Guest services.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
OK, so where are you guys shipping to at Oshkosh? This sounds like a good avenue...
You can ship a box of stuff (camping gear, chairs, air mattresses, laundry, etc) to yourself to arrive at Oshkosh prior to the show. Shipping Services usually sets up in a shipping container placed near the main entrance. When you arrive with your much-lighter airplane, the welcome vans will be happy to drive you over to Shipping Services to pick up your stuff.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...pping-services
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, wings almost complete, fuselage almost complete)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 PM

I have 7A with O-320. Because of this smaller engine hanging up front I have to use caution when loading up with 2 and some weight in the baggage area. I do weigh everything and will routinely place something small/heavy forward of the spar beneath my legs and my passenger as well. If I'm flying alone there is usually a big bag strapped in the passengers seat. According to my W/B app, I would be getting close to aft CG with passenger and baggage as the fuel buns down.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM

WOW. Great lesson learned. Thanks for sharing.
Prepping and waiting for final Finish kit to arrive - June 2019
VAF dues paid!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 PM

Those floor step bars Anti Splat sells would make great anchor points for securing 'front of spar saddle bags'. Maybe Anti Splat could come up with a product like that too.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Interesting Read. Thank You!

Thank you for sharing.

Yes, found myself re-learning flying in the RV-6. Interesting differences between a Mooney, Piper and Cessna aircraft and my RV-6.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
UTC -09:00 Alaska