- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Formation Flying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Exclamation Falcon Flight Formation Training Clinic - KGYI - 2019

Falcon Flight will be hosting a Formation Training Clinic on April 5/6/7 2019 at the North Texas Regional Airport – KGYI. The weather-out dates will be April 26/27/28. This is a closer location to those coming from the north/east than the ones we’ve held in the past. We have created a group at https://groups.io/g/KGYI-2019-FormationClinic to handle the logistics. Use the link to request membership in this group, then add a line with your information to the Clinic Signup Table.

We will be using this group for all information distribution. Further details regarding scheduling et al are forthcoming and will be disseminated through that group. We’re looking at a cost of $60 per person to cover van rentals, food, drink and other incidentals.

A limit of 32 participants is in place. Newcomers and advanced are welcome. We will also be going over the changes to 8900.1 that apply to carded pilots when operating within a certificate of waiver (airshows).

All hotel information is found in the FILES section of the group. If you have any intent on participating, make sure to get your room booked early before the group rate expires - you can cancel up to 48hrs prior to arrival at no penalty.
FFI Flight Lead - www.FalconFlight.aero

Last edited by N520TX : 01-14-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 AM

I have a quick question if I may.

I would love to participate itís why I purchased my 7. My concern is I have only owned my RV7 for 8 months and have low time over all. 200 hours and 20 in my 7.

Can I participate? Should I participate? With the limited number of spots and I already see on the sign up sheet many folks with lots of formation experience I donít want to take a slot from someone... if that makes sense.

Overall it looks like blast. Thanks for the feedback. Sean
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 AM

Default A Newbie

Hi Sean--

All we ask is that you have "good stick and rudder skills" - newbies are totally welcome. The ground school will be well worth it, and the red-scary guys are paired up with a safety pilot for at least the first couple of flights.

Typically, the first flight will be in the aircraft of your safety pilot while he/she demonstrates the maneuvers and best practices. Then you two migrate to your own aircraft to continue the training. When the safety pilot decides, it's at that point you are let go to solo in limited formation.

I wouldn't let "newness" hold you back, I was a red-scary guy once, for 3 clinics !
Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Formation Clinics for the RV-10?

I notice that neither the Falcon nor KC Formation Training Clinics accept the RV-10. I'm not sure why that is since the RV-10 has about the same speed and climb as the rest of the RV fleet (with the exception of the RV-12 which is much slower).

Are there any formation clinics that are either specific to the RV-10 or that accept the RV-10 in a mix with other RVs?

Just curious right now as I my RV-10 is still under construction. But I would like to give formation flying a try in the future, after completing Phase 1.

Thanks

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2019 VAF Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Default My thoughts ...

Hi Dave--

Personally, I think it's a combination of things right now - critical mass and training experience being the top two. We've not really had enough interest in the RV10 at clinics to put together a flight of 4 ships *with* safety pilots and flight leads that have the 10 experience. No one has done the math to determine the site lines that would guarantee no wing overlap, etc. "Cabin-class" aircraft have different visibilities/limitations that need to be explored and understood. Bonanza's and Grumman's do it, so RV10s can as well. FFI has no 'official' data in the supplements that address the differences of the 10. I've done very light formation in my RV10, but nothing coming close to the dynamics you'd see in a formation clinic or the air show environment. I will say, though, that is changing, as I practice with some fellow team mates.

Can a 10 mix in with a 4 ship of 7/8's ? I'd say it could - but a solid 4-ship of 10's would be a great place to start. Is clinic participation in the future ? I'd be willing to bet yes, if enough demand is there. I, for one, would raise my hand.

Last edited by N520TX : 01-15-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Remove references to lack of RV12 data !
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N520TX View Post
FFI has no 'official' data in the supplements that address the differences of the 10/12.
Our great friend Joe Blank did that work for the 12. And our FFI founder put out the guidance in version 2.6. See attached link.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=114247
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Default I am corrected !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
Our great friend Joe Blank did that work for the 12. And our FFI founder put out the guidance in version 2.6. See attached link.

The 12 legwork is in place ! Thanks Axel !
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, I may just go for the ground school and take the ride that way I can learn and not burn up a flying spot.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 PM

I'm sooo looking forward to flying with u guys when my -7 is done! I'm planning on first flight this year.
N430WB RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2019 donation happily made
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by N520TX View Post
The 12 legwork is in place ! Thanks Axel !
Here is a VAF post that Joe made on the RV-12: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=23

I was the FFI guy that worked / flew in the RV-12s in 2014. I provided comments back to Joe and Stu. Unfortunately I cannot find my comments but most were that some speeds were a little too high. My recommendation going forward is to start with the speeds Joe published and revise as experience is gained.

More searching after writing this, I found a post with some of my comments here.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 01-16-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Add link.