- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Landing gear wheel balancing

We are right on the cusp of taking our RV-10 on its first flight (plane is done, just collecting the paperwork needed for the airworthiness inspection). The airport's A&P paid us a visit and asked us if our wheels had been balanced, which they hadn't. He had the tools to do the job, but then left for out of state and is going to be gone for several weeks.

How necessary is wheel balancing? Is this something I can take to a local tire shop, or does it need the services of an A&P? I watched a couple Youtube videos and it looks like I will need a number of specialty tools. At this point I'd really rather just take them to someone.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

You don't need special tools, but a motorcycle tire balancer makes it easier. I've got one like this: http://www.marcparnes.com/Buyers_Guide.htm
iMO If you skip it for now you should be fine assuming you didn't notice any significant vibration during your taxi tests.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Landing gear balancing

I balanced the original Aeroclassics from Vans and had vibration on landings. Replaced the tires after a few years with Desser retreaded tires. i tried balancing them but in the end I gave up and left them unbalanced as the lousy balancer (different than one I used for original ties) wasnt working right, the takeoffs and landings are smooth with no vibrations at all. I was going to eventually try rebalancing tires, but will leave them alone at this point.
If the tires shake, balance them, otherwise not worth thinking about during "fly off".
Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 PM

I had my dressers balanced prior to mounting them. I haven't flown yet but it seemed like a good idea.
Donated for 2018
Old 09-06-2017, 05:41 AM

Default Pre balanced if mounted correctly

Just remember to mount the tires with the red dot next to the stem. The factory did the balance on manufacture. The red dot is the light spot so the valve stem goes adjacent to that. I have never balanced a tire beyond that and never had one that was anything but smooth.

Paid through 2017! How about you?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:07 AM

I bought a cheap motor cycle wheel balancer from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98488.html I machined a couple new cones a bit larger for a better fit/support.
It worked great for balancing, and as a bonus you will see how out of round the tires can be. It made me wonder how effective the balancing was with the tires so out of round.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
I bought a cheap motor cycle wheel balancer from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98488.html I machined a couple new cones a bit larger for a better fit/support.
It worked great for balancing, and as a bonus you will see how out of round the tires can be. It made me wonder how effective the balancing was with the tires so out of round.
Yeah, that one works great. I used mine out of the box, the cones that came with it seemed OK.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 AM

I've got the tires as supplied with the kit installed, no balancing. Decelerating through 32-27 kts I have a brief shaking. Nothing on takeoff. I also have the gear leg stiffeners installed and it shakes in spite of the stiffeners. Will definitely balance the wheels at first time the wheels come off. Not sure if it is the mains or nose wheel. Tire pressure adjustment does not seem to have an effect on the shaking. No directional changes during the shaking.
Johan
Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Pants on, or off? (Wheel, that is...)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
Just remember to mount the tires with the red dot next to the stem. The factory did the balance on manufacture. The red dot is the light spot so the valve stem goes adjacent to that. I have never balanced a tire beyond that and never had one that was anything but smooth.
+1, for several sets of Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and Michelin Airstop tubes on an RV-8.
(Pic)
- Out with the Old, In with the New (Pic)
RV-8, 1935 Tach Hours
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3) - Sale Pending
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 09-06-2017 at 01:00 PM.