What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracking Side steps

Joewebb

Whilst the issue of a failed side step made the front page I would like to make a comment.

I have a 6A which i turned into a 6 so it has the steps already riveted in place and with bad knees i decided to keep them with a little modification.
I made them 2 inches shorter and welded the step in correct line with airflow in flight attitude.

The steps being airfoil shape and swept back at some 30 degrees or so,Vans seem to have cut and welded the airfoil tube"square" with the airfoil shape.

When in flight attitude the step itself is nosing down at the front...Are they all like this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me I believe this would excite vibration at higher speeds....wanting to deflect downwards but can't.

Any thoughts?

Joe

When in flight attitude the step itself is nosing down at the front...Are they all like this?

No they are not.
Maybe when yours were installed they were not aligned correctly, or when they were shortened the alignment of the step portion was changed.

No they are not.
Maybe when yours were installed they were not aligned correctly, or when they were shortened the alignment of the step portion was changed.

Hi Scott
I shortened the steps myself and aligned them correctly because the step itself was not.
In the old days of the 6A ..were the steps a Vans manufactured part or was a length of tube supplied and you make this part yourself?

Joe

Back